Baby Back Pregnancy

Darcey’s Birth Story

I can’t believe that our little girl is nearly 1 month old now and I thought it was about time I shared my birth story with you to finish off my pregnancy journey. I briefly mentioned her arrival in Welcome to the Worldย while I was still getting to grips with being a new mummy again.

For those of you who have followed my weekly pregnancy updates you’ll know how much I was struggling with pain caused by my bad back and also the SPD that I was suffering from. In December it was getting to the point the any kind of mobility was a struggle and I wasn’t leaving the house.

On 30th December I was 37 weeks pregnant and I had a check up with my consultant. We’d discussed previously that I could have a sweep at 37 weeks to try and encourage this baby to come early. I’d had a scan at 35 weeks that showed baby was a good size and the consultant was weighing up the baby and my well being to determine when the best time was for her to arrive.


37 weeks and ready for her to arrive

So on 30th December I had a sweep after my appointment and I was booked in for an induction on 31st December at 37 +1 weeks. I know that some people may think this is a bit early as due dates are an estimation but as I’d already been in hospital that week with contractions and I was in so much pain we decided that it was time for her to be born.

The Sweep

I hadn’t had a sweep with the boys, Will arrived on his due date and with Ben I went into labour naturally at 37 + 1 weeks, so I hadn’t had to try and encourage the boys to come along. The midwife was really nice and it wasn’t as uncomfortable as I thought it was going to be. She told me that my cervix was still very posterior and thick and there wasn’t any sign that I was going to go into labour naturally. Afterwards we went home, hoping something might happen overnight, and were asked to return at 8am the next morning.

The Induction

I was very nervous about having an induction as friends have told me it’s a lot more painful than going into labour naturally. Also there’s a much higher chance of needing medical intervention to deliver the baby as you’re forcing the baby and your body to do something it’s not quiet ready to do. I was having an Outpatient Induction which meant that I went in at 8am and was examined to see if anything had happened since the sweep. My cervix was pretty much the same and I had the pessary inserted and was put on a monitor for a while to make sure that my body didn’t react to the pessary and cause labour to start too quickly. After 2 hours I was allowed to go home and asked to return at 5pm that evening. I would be examined again at 5pm and then if nothing was happening would go home again until the following day.

I was really happy with this approach as I was much more comfortable going home, pottering around and lying in my own bed. I managed to get a little bit of sleep and it wasn’t until 2pm that I started feeling a few contractions. I was hopeful that when we went back at 5pm they would tell me I was in active labour and that baby would arrive later that day, wishful thinking!

We returned to the hospital at 5pm and the midwife put me on a monitor, I was having 2-3 contractions every 10 minutes. She examined me and did a stretch and sweep again but I was only 2cm, which was a bit disappointing. We were trying to decide if I should be admitted to the antenatal ward or sent home for the evening. It was after all New Years Eve and I did have a very nice curry and friends on hand to come over for dinner if this baby wasn’t arriving!

Within about 10 minutes of this discussion however the contractions got a lot more painful and intense, probably as a result of having another sweep. Instead I was sent round to the labour ward as it appeared that baby may decide to come a lot sooner. We had the most amazing midwife called Jo who would be looking after us on the night shift. I was really lucky with the delivery room and got a really large room and the only one that had an ensuite, New Years Eve was very quiet on the delivery suite.

The Delivery

By 9pm I was really struggling with the pain in my back and was given gas and air and pethidine. It was always part of my birth plan to have the pethidine early on in labour incase I needed some stronger pain relief for my back as the labour progressed. We started taking bets on when baby would arrive I guessed 11:59pm so she would have a New Years Eve birthday.

As we got towards the New Year the contractions were getting stronger and closer together. I spent a lot of my time bouncing on the ball hoping that this would get the baby to descend and my cervix to dilate. I was having 5-6 contractions every 10 minutes and the babies heart rate was 170-180 bpm, she wasn’t happy about the frequency of the contractions and was struggling a bit. I was put on a saline drip to try and bring her heart rate down, a further examination showed I was still only 2cm and that things weren’t really progressing, the pessary was removed to try and get things to ease off.

We welcomed in the New Year between contractions, it certainly will be the most memorable New Years Eve for us. I said sorry to hubby for making him miss his lovely curry that was at home! The midwives however had ordered takeaway curry and bought him in a plate of all the leftover’s to make sure he was well fed. It smelled amazing and it was at this point they told me I had to be nil by mouth until baby was happier. So I had to lay there and smell the yummyness as he ate it, it’s a very good thing I love him!

At 1:30am the midwives and doctor decided that they needed to slow the labour down and I had an injection that basically stopped the labour in it’s tracks. They turned the lights off in the room and told me to get some rest for a couple of hours. Hubby managed to recline a seat and get some rest I just lay there. It was really strange to have the labour just stopped and a little bit demotivating but I understood that the baby needed a rest from the contractions and she was the most important thing.

At 4am I was examined and was 4cm so I had my water broken. I can’t believe how much water there was it felt like a tidal wave, I felt very foolish for thinking my waters had been leaking previously in my pregnancy. I was laughing at how much water there was and I felt a lot lighter after that, my bump looked really deflated!

The contractions started again and I had some more pethidine to cope with the pain. At about 6am the midwife asked me to move around to get things going, so I started bouncing on the ball again. Very quickly everything got a lot more painful, I had the gas and air and was making a lot of noises. It got to the stage where I was too uncomfortable and I needed to get back onto the bed, my intention was to lie on my side as I knew I didn’t want to put to much pressure on my back. As it turned out I managed to crawl onto the bed and then decided I wasn’t going to move.

FullSizeRender 3

Gas and Air was amazing and helped me focus on my breathing

The contractions were getting much more painful although I wasn’t really having any pushing urges, to be honest my back hurt so much it was hard to distinguish what was going on. The midwife had very kindly put a sheet over me to cover up my dignity, or whatever little I had left. Hubby was doing a great job of telling me to breathe deeply on the gas and air to get the full effect and between my loud moans I was trying to listen to him.

After maybe 15 minutes I told the midwife I though the baby was coming, again the pushing urges I was expecting weren’t really there but it just felt like there was a lot of pressure. The midwife had a look and baby wasn’t crowning but she told me to go with whatever I felt I needed to do so I started to push. 10 minutes later and babies head was out followed shortly after at 7:28am by the rest of her, hubby was really surprised as he didn’t expect it to happen that quickly. It was a very strange sensation and nothing like delivering the boys. I don’t know whether this was due to the delivery position, being on all fours, or due to the back surgery I’ve had.


Babies look so funny when they’re born


I had an injection to deliver the placenta but by this point I was holding my beautiful daughter and wasn’t really bothered by the discomfort of delivering the placenta. I needed to have a few stitches which I was fully expecting as I tore badly having the boys. This time I only needed a few and it wasn’t as painful as the stitches I’d had previously, with the boys I tore along the side and this was more extensive.


One happy mummy

I stayed in hospital for a few hours afterwards and at this point was desperate to get home. We face timed the boys who were at home with my mum and I really wanted to get my family all together at home where we belonged. The hospital had wanted me to stay in for 24 hours due to the medication I was taking in pregnancy so they could monitor both myself and baby. However I was feeling fine and baby was doing well so they let us go after 5 hours with instructions to come back if we had any worries.

Our family completed

Holding my daughter in my arms was amazing, she is worth every second of pain that I experienced during the pregnancy and the labour and I would do it all again in a heartbeat for her. Our family is now complete and she is settling in well, we’re all completely besotted with her.


Our Family Completed

Thank you

I had fantastic care throughout the pregnancy led by Mr Webster at Poole General Hospital, he put my mind at ease throughout the 37 weeks and I had complete trust in the advise he gave me. The midwife Jo who delivered Darcey was amazing, she was upbeat and positive throughout the whole labour. She stayed with us and made sure that we were well looked after and that baby was delivered safe and sound without needing any intervention. She listened to my wishes and supported us throughout.

The NHS often get’s a lot of bad press and you always seem to see the bad news in papers, rarely do people write about good labour experiences. I couldn’t have received better care throughout my pregnancy and labour and am very grateful to everyone who helped me get through it.

Previous Post Next Post

You may also like


  • Reply farmerswifeandmummy

    aww huge congratulations. She is gorgeous and brilliant photos. This a great birth story. Thank you for linking up my lovely #MaternityMondays

    February 14, 2016 at 7:25 pm
  • Reply Sarah Admissions of a Working Mother

    I loved reading this – got me a bit teary! She’s so lovely – well done #brillblogposts

    February 11, 2016 at 10:28 am
  • Reply catherine@pushingthemoon

    What a lovely birth story! Congratulations. Xxx #twinklytuesday

    February 8, 2016 at 8:24 pm
  • Reply mummydaddymia

    Congratulations! what an ordeal but I’m so glad that you were both ok! We are currently thinking about having a 2nd baby and you have reminded me of a lot of things I had forgotten about labour, which is a good thing as I hadn’t considered that it may not go as well as our first time! Thanks for sharing your little family’s story ๐Ÿ™‚


    February 8, 2016 at 4:53 pm
  • Reply Abigail Bryony

    Aww amazing, congratulations! The induction process at your hospital is totally different to ours as once we have the pessary put in we aren’t allowed to go home, would’ve much preferred to be allowed to leave! x

    February 8, 2016 at 4:27 pm
  • Reply wonderfulandaverage

    Congratulations to you all, she is absolutely beautiful! And what a fantastic birth story! It’s really lovely to read such a positive experience of the NHS xx

    February 8, 2016 at 3:18 pm
  • Reply mummascribbles

    What a wonderful story – you did so well all things considering. Darcey is absolutely gorgeous and I adore the photo of all of you. I can’t believe she’s a month old aready! Thanks for linking up with #TwinklyTuesday

    February 7, 2016 at 1:49 pm
  • Reply Charlotte

    I wasn’t allowed to leave the hospital grounds after my induction had started and ended up being there for 5 days. It is lovely to know that our family is complete! x

    February 5, 2016 at 11:32 am
    • Reply Lisa

      Thanks Charlotte, I think I got off very lightly with the whole timing. I know inductions can last a lot longer, although in my case I would have had a c section if it took more than a day and a half. x

      February 5, 2016 at 12:21 pm
  • Reply mummuddlingthrough

    I felt a bit emotional reading this! I was induced with all three pregnancies – all in very different circumstances and I can honestly say the service I received from every single member of staff at the NHS was outstanding.
    Congratulations, and welcome to #coolmumclub – thank you for linking with us!

    February 4, 2016 at 8:46 pm
    • Reply Lisa

      Thank you. I think our NHS do get a bad press so it’s nice to say thank you when you’ve received good care x

      February 5, 2016 at 12:15 pm
  • Reply Life as Mum

    Huge congratulations on the birth of your beautiful little girl. I love reading birth stories. Getting me super excited for me to give birth my third! x

    February 4, 2016 at 3:49 pm
    • Reply Lisa

      Thanks, it will come round so quickly for you and you’ll soon have that gorgeous little boy in your arms xx

      February 5, 2016 at 12:12 pm
  • Reply Rebecca | AAUBlog

    Congratulations on your new baby girl! you look amazing after just having a baby. love reading other people’s birth stories #coolmumclub

    February 4, 2016 at 10:24 am
    • Reply Lisa

      Thanks Rebecca x

      February 5, 2016 at 12:10 pm
  • Reply abirose1

    Congratulations! A New Year baby, how lovely! I love a good birth story. I love that you were able to go home once you’d been induced – I was stuck in hospital for 3 days and really put me off the whole experience of being induced. Sounds like yours was much calmer. Thanks for sharing #coolmumclub

    February 4, 2016 at 8:06 am
    • Reply Lisa

      Thanks, I think I got lucky with a fab consultant. I wouldn’t have been as happy staying in hospital and just waiting for it to start x

      February 5, 2016 at 12:09 pm
  • Reply Suz (Beau is Blue) (@beauisblue)

    oh my goodness what a fantastic read! congratulations to you all! suz x

    February 2, 2016 at 11:06 pm
    • Reply Lisa

      Thanks Suz x

      February 3, 2016 at 9:01 pm
  • Reply mrshsfavouritethings

    A massive congratulations. Darcey is beautiful (and I love the name). It sounds like your labour was long and hard but you coped amazingly. Gas and air is a marvellous thing. It also sounds like you had amazing support throughout your pregnancy and when in labour. That makes such a huge difference. Like you, I had amazing treatment through my pregnancy, the birth and after birth of Little Miss H. Not a bad word to say about the NHS. I am so pleased that your family is now complete. I love the photographs of you happily holding Darcey after she was born and your new lovely family sitting together. Hugs Lucy xxxx

    February 2, 2016 at 9:43 pm
    • Reply Lisa

      Thanks Lucy, I was very lucky to have great support and very glad when it was all over. Completely worth it xx

      February 3, 2016 at 9:00 pm
  • Reply Kate โœš

    Ah I love reading birth stories. Although it makes me really broody. Even after three babies I still get broody. Huge congratulations! Your little girl is beautiful x

    February 2, 2016 at 8:52 pm
    • Reply Lisa

      Thanks Kate I love the newborn stage x

      February 3, 2016 at 8:59 pm
  • Reply The Parenting Trials (@sarahnblogger)

    Aww what a beautiful bump you had…and some gorgeous photos of your birth hun. Sounds like you did amazing xx

    February 2, 2016 at 7:55 pm
    • Reply Lisa

      Thanks x

      February 3, 2016 at 8:59 pm
  • Reply wendy

    Congratulations! Although it was obviously painful fir you, this is a lovely birth story and so glad Darcy was delivered safely. Hope you’re doing well now. You don’t even look like you’ve gone through hours of labour in that photo of the 2 of you!A new years day baby ๐Ÿ™‚ xx #TwinklyTuesday

    February 2, 2016 at 9:01 am
    • Reply Lisa

      Thanks Wendy I think it was just the sheer relief that it was over in the picture and that we were both safe and sound xx

      February 2, 2016 at 4:45 pm
  • Reply Emma @sophieellaandme

    Congratulations on the birth of your beautiful baby girl, Darcey! Such a lovely birth story too! I was also induced and it wasn’t particularly pleasant but I coped. Gas and air was amazing though! I hope you’re both doing well x

    February 1, 2016 at 10:26 pm
    • Reply Lisa

      Thanks Emma, we’re both doing really well, seems like we’ve always had her and enjoying almost every moment! x

      February 2, 2016 at 4:45 pm
  • Reply BloggerMummyLauren

    Fantastic, what a wonderful story. Love reading a good birth story, they are all so different! Gorgeous family photo too x

    February 1, 2016 at 9:41 pm
    • Reply Lisa

      Thanks Lauren, we all have such different stories just goes to show you can never plan what happens. x

      February 2, 2016 at 4:43 pm
  • Reply Emma @ FreeFromFarmhousee

    What a way to see in the new year!Congratuations on your daughter.

    February 1, 2016 at 7:51 pm
    • Reply Lisa

      Thanks Emma, it’s certainly a new year’s eve I’ll never forget!

      February 2, 2016 at 4:42 pm
  • Reply Bear and Cardigan

    It’s always such a wonderful thing when a baby is delivered safely. She is gorgeous but how much did she weigh?

    February 1, 2016 at 6:51 pm
    • Reply Lisa

      Thanks she was 7lbs 3oz when she born so a good weight for 37 weeks.

      February 2, 2016 at 4:41 pm
  • Reply Zoe L

    Congratulations! What a beautiful little girl. Glad you managed to have a sweep earlier than 40weeks to relieve you of some pain.

    February 1, 2016 at 2:42 pm
    • Reply Lisa

      Thanks Zoe, it was strange when her due date came around and we’d already had her for nearly 3 weeks! x

      February 2, 2016 at 4:40 pm

    Leave a Reply

    CommentLuv badge

    %d bloggers like this: