Lifestyle

Garage Conversion

garage conversion

When we did our big building works last year we converted the back half of our garage into a utility room. We kept the front half with the door on it for use as storage. The plan was always to finish the garage conversion before I went back to work so I could have an office. My previous office became Darcey’s bedroom when she was born.

The shed

The first problem we had was where do we put everything we had stored in the garage? Luckily my mum and stepdad are very clever. We had some space at the side of our house between the wall and our fence. They built us a custom made shed in the space with access from the garden, and also the front of our house. This has worked so well. It means we can get all the garden toys and furniture out of one side and the boys can get their bikes out the front. The shed is about 1-1.5m wide by 6m long, although it’s narrow it’s made a great use of previously unused space.

Shed space

The unused space at the side of our house. Previously this was bushes.

She from the front of our house.

Shed from our garden.

Garage Conversion

Bricking up the garage front.

The builders started mid December just when it got really cold! It only took them 3 days to take off the garage door and brick it up. You can see from the picture we already had the stud partitioning inside and the internal doorway. We also had the first fix done when the back of the garage was converted last year.

Finished front of our house.

I’m so pleased with how this looks, the bricks match the rest of the house really well. Now they’ve weathered in the last month it looks like the house was always built like this. We reused the window we took out of our kitchen to make sure it matches the rest of our house.

Then it was just the inside to get finished! My husband and stepdad laid the floor to match the height in the rest of the house. The plasterers came in to put up the plaster board and plaster which they managed to get done in one day.

Then it was just a case of painting and adding some carpet.

All docorated

All decorated

When painting new plaster it’s always important to do a mist coat of half water and half paint. I do this with white paint and they gave it a coat of normal white paint over the top. I finished by painting the walls with Dulux Almost Oyster which is one of my favourite colours, in different lighting it looks different colour.

You can see the finished results of my new Office here.

• Reply Backsnbumps.com - My new office is now finished - a place just for me

[…] and more importantly a space in my house that’s just for me! I wrote about how we’ve converted the garage and made the most of every bit of available […]

February 15, 2017 at 8:23 am
  • Reply Baby Isabella

That’s a great job! Looks like it’s been there for years! I bet you are glad of the extra space! x
    Baby Isabella recently posted…We’re glowing with Glimmies!My Profile

January 29, 2017 at 7:29 pm
  • Reply Kerry Norris

It looks great. The bricks really match the house well x
    Kerry Norris recently posted…Mummy Don’t Cry – How PND is affecting my childMy Profile

January 26, 2017 at 9:13 pm
  • Reply fashionandstylepolice

Wow this looks great. How clever. Extra space is always needed.
    fashionandstylepolice recently posted…The Chill is in the AirMy Profile

January 26, 2017 at 6:27 pm
  • Reply Kara

I wish we had a garage to convert, we have run out of space in our house

January 25, 2017 at 6:53 pm
  • Reply Sav Chin

Looks like a good project, done really well. It’s definitely a smart way to get more room for the house!

January 25, 2017 at 5:41 pm
  • Reply clairejustine

This looks great. I have been taking my husband into doing this in our house. I would love a dinning room and converting our garage would be perfect 🙂
    clairejustine recently posted…Staring Competition But He Always Wins: Wednesday Blog Hop…My Profile

January 25, 2017 at 11:59 am
  • Reply Natalia

what a nice room! Sometimes a bit of hard-work can transform our house massively! x
    Natalia recently posted…5 Gifts Ideas for Him on a Budget!My Profile

January 25, 2017 at 8:38 am

It is amazing that the new bricks weathered and now looks like the original brickwork. A great conversion.

January 24, 2017 at 10:20 pm
  • Reply Moderate Mum

The extra storage is really clever! I’ve got nowhere for my garden toys!

January 24, 2017 at 8:36 pm
  • Reply Grant R

I have garage conversion envy. It looks amazing. Good work!
    Grant R recently posted…Why Bloggers Shouldn’t Join ChartsMy Profile

January 24, 2017 at 8:13 pm
  • Reply Jo

Looks great, I bet you’re glad it’s finished now what with the cold weather!
    Jo recently posted…5 Non Lifting-Related Facts About MeMy Profile

January 24, 2017 at 5:55 pm
  • Reply Sharon Parry

Looks brilliant and it’s fascinating to see it step by step. Enjoy the extra space!
    Sharon Parry recently posted…5 reasons to use school breakfast clubsMy Profile

January 24, 2017 at 4:26 pm

Looking good! We converted our garage last year into a huge playroom, which is amazing, but the problem of where to put all of the crap from the garage is on-going!! We built a huge shed which quickly filled, and now it is all spilling out into the attic, cupboards, just “stuff” everywhere! The kids love the playroom though!
    Five Little Doves recently posted…A letter to myself on my 17th birthdayMy Profile

January 24, 2017 at 4:02 pm
  • Reply motherhoodtherealdeal

How amazing to have that extra space! I bet you’re really feeling the difference? x
    motherhoodtherealdeal recently posted…10 reasons why mums drink wineMy Profile