Family

Going back to work

Back to work

Welcome 2017 I can’t believe that I’m here already writing this post, 2016 went way too quickly. So here I am sat down preparing to go back to work. I’m not entirely sure how I feel about this, to be honest I’ve had my head in the sand emotionally. Practically I’ve been make my back to work plans for months, making sure everything is ready and ignoring my feelings. This is not the first time I’ve had to go through the back to work ‘rollercoaster’ I’ve had 2 other maternity leaves and due to back operations another 3 periods where I was off on long term sick leave.

Back to work preparations

Firstly work are amazing, there are lots of people to help go through entitlements and processes. I had a call with HR and my line manager back in August to discuss when I would be coming back. I managed to add my holiday and make use of my KIT days onto the end of my statutory maternity leave. This has meant I haven’t had to go into the dreaded no pay period.

I have discussed my new working pattern. I put forward an option to my line manager working 8-1 five days a week and a few evening hours over the course of the week. Luckily they have agreed to this and found a way to make it work. This is great for me because I still get Darcey in the afternoons and also I can pick the boys up from school. It is good for work because I’m in everyday to keep things moving along. I’m hoping I’ll manage the school holidays better as well as I only need childcare for mornings.

Darcey stated nursery yesterday after a few settling in sessions. I know she will love it when she gets used to it but she’s a bit unsettled at the moment.

The boys went back to school yesterday and Darcey’s first day at nursery

Over the course of the last month I’ve also been making sure my work phone and laptop are all reconnected and that I have the access I need. There’s nothing worse than starting back and not being able to do anything because I don’t have access.

The office

I’m really lucky in my role that I can be based at home, this is also great for my back as well. The only problem I had is my old office is now Darcey’s bedroom. Over the last month we’ve been converting the garage into an office space for me. It’s nearly done, this weekend we just need to build my storage unit and desk. I have a great sit/stand desk and special chair to help with my back problems that work provided me.

back to work

My new office, nearly finished. Small but cosy and just what I need.

How do I feel

Honestly a bit tearful and a bit scared. I have loved my little life this last year even though it’s had up’s and downs. These are the thoughts going through my head;

• How am I going to fit work in as well?
  • What if I’m not good enough at my job?
  • What if I can’t give the kids the attention they need and become a worse mum?
  • What if I miss them all too much?
  • What if I’m just overwhelmed by everything?
  • What if I can’t cope?
  • They whole mum guilt in general about every minute thing.

Can anyone relate to this? When I’m at home I love being with the kids and feel complete. When I go into work it challenges me in a different way and I enjoy pushing myself mentally. Can I have both these things and juggle both sides of life to work together? I don’t know and I’m about to find out starting on Monday.

This week I’ve had rubbish headaches verging on the point of not being able to see. My shoulders feel like they are attached to my ears and I know that this is because I’m anxious about my return to work. I am however lucky to have friends and family that will put up with me over the next month when I’m sure I will be very difficult. My husband will be buying a lot of chocolate for me!

• Reply Jenni

I went back to work after having about 15 months off, i used holidays to extend it. You’re work sound really supportive which is good x

January 13, 2017 at 1:05 pm
  • Reply Amrita

The sad truth.All moms all over the world go through this exact same problem. The solution needs a lot of juggling and understanding work place. Hope it works out for you.

January 12, 2017 at 5:44 pm
  • Reply Angela Key Milnes

I wish all the best for your going back to work, I’m asking my hubby and myself to get back on work I want to work soon.

January 11, 2017 at 10:17 am

Thanks Angela

January 11, 2017 at 8:10 pm
  • Reply Grant R

At the risk of sounding like a cliche, this transition period will fly in and you’ll soon be wondering what all the anxiety was about! 8 til 1 will fly by too if you’re busy. I hope it all goes smoothly!
    Grant R recently posted…Music I Made – #01 – WinterMy Profile

January 9, 2017 at 6:54 pm
  • Reply Valerie

Good luck. I think you are going to do great. I’m very excited for you.

January 9, 2017 at 3:28 pm

Thanks Valerie x

January 9, 2017 at 3:50 pm
  • Reply roxy

It sounds like your job is awesome and very willing to work with new moms to find what works for them/their families. I love that you’ve been able to set up the garage to be a home office.

January 9, 2017 at 2:33 pm

I’m so lucky that work have been so accommodating.

January 9, 2017 at 3:51 pm
  • Reply Jon Gutteridge

Good luck! Going back to work after any period off is always a daunting task!

January 9, 2017 at 11:03 am
  • Reply Sophie

It’s such a big milestone so try and celebrate it! Also keep yourself as busy as possible 🙂

January 9, 2017 at 9:33 am
  • Reply Sondra Barker

Good luck going back to work honey!! I’m sending all good vibes your way and I hope your headaches go away!
    Sondra Barker recently posted…Why You Should Start Using Tailwind Pinterest Tribes to Grow Your BlogMy Profile

January 9, 2017 at 1:06 am
  • Reply Emma

What a lovely and honest post. I’m can imagine it being so difficult adjusting to going back to work. Hopefully once you start back you will enjoy it.
    Emma recently posted…** Moving to the big leagues – Bear gets a buggy board (in collaboration with Quinny) **My Profile

January 8, 2017 at 2:13 pm

Thanks Emma, it’ll take a bit of adjusting but I’m sure we’ll be fine.

January 9, 2017 at 4:42 pm

I hated those first few days back at work but you soon get in the swing of it. Good Luck xx
    ChelseaMamma recently posted…Silent Sunday – 8th January 2017My Profile

January 8, 2017 at 10:10 am
  • Reply Dorothy

Wishing you all the best with back to work! Its always hard for new changes but you will get through like you always have 🙂

January 7, 2017 at 6:05 pm
  • Reply blair villanueva

Yeah I also find going back to work after the holiday to difficult I am literally screaming HOLIDAY again 🙂 But surprisingly I arrived so early at work. Oh my I wish holidays are my work. I mean being paid while vacationing, hahaha

January 7, 2017 at 4:44 pm
  • Reply rachel

I always find going back to work really hard, but once I am there and have put the computer on, it is as though I have never been away.

January 7, 2017 at 1:18 pm
  • Reply Angela milnes

This is a really interesting post. I’m trying to create a work space too for working from home. It’s great you were able to have time with your child before maternity leave ends. Good luck with the next stage. 🙂
    Angela milnes recently posted…My Travel Adventures On The Inspiration EditMy Profile

January 7, 2017 at 12:31 pm
  • Reply Jenni - Odd Socks and Lollipops

I found it so hard going back to work after maternity leave, it’s such a big change. I hope that everything goes well for you, it’s great that you can work from home!
    Jenni – Odd Socks and Lollipops recently posted…The Happiest Blog Posts I read in 2016My Profile

January 7, 2017 at 11:15 am
  • Reply Milica Momcilovic

Your kids are so adorable. The way you feel about getting back to work is perfectly normal. I think a majority of moms are feeling exactly like you are, but I’m sure you’re gonna be just great! Good luck in your new adventures! 🙂

January 7, 2017 at 4:37 am

Thanks Milica

January 7, 2017 at 10:08 am
  • Reply Rose

It’s hard to go back to work. Even if your lucky like yourself to get to work from home for a few hours a day. Good luck to you and I’m sure you will figure out a routine.
    Rose recently posted…Top 10 of 2016My Profile

January 7, 2017 at 4:04 am

Thanks Rose

January 7, 2017 at 10:09 am
  • Reply Heather

I feel as though your fears are common in working parents and it may be unusual to get into the swing of things but also it will be good for you too! Best of luck back!

January 7, 2017 at 12:41 am

Thanks Heather

January 7, 2017 at 10:09 am
  • Reply Imaobong

Aww
    I think we all have days that we get anxious because we’re not quite sure how things would turn out -I’m having one of them right now myself.
    Only way to get over them is to just go ahead, jump right in and see what happens!
    It’ll be just fine at the end.
    Best of luck momma 🙂

January 6, 2017 at 11:38 pm

Thanks I agree I’ve just got to get on with it and give it my best. x

January 7, 2017 at 10:10 am
  • Reply Lyndsey O'Halloran

I’m glad you and your job managed to make things work! I need an office at home!
    Lyndsey O’Halloran recently posted…Bidvine: finding local service professionalsMy Profile

January 6, 2017 at 9:13 pm

I am very lucky Lyndsey they have been very accommodating.

January 7, 2017 at 10:10 am
  • Reply Deborah Nicholas

Eek such a huge step isnt it but wow look at those handsome boys ( i love it when they have to wear caps for school, it just finishes off the uniform doesnt it!)
    Deborah Nicholas recently posted…#LittleLoves Week One – 6th January 2017!My Profile

January 6, 2017 at 9:03 pm

I know I love their school uniform it’s so smart people always comment on it if we’re out and about.

January 7, 2017 at 10:11 am
  • Reply Tasheena @ SimplyTasheena.com

Best wishes with going back to work. It’s great that you will be based from home. I hope everything works out in your favor :).

January 6, 2017 at 6:31 pm

January 7, 2017 at 10:13 am
  • Reply Nicola

I am asking myself all of those questions right now, trying to mentally prepare myself to go back on 1st March. I look forward to reading your next update x

January 6, 2017 at 5:17 pm

Thanks Nicola I will update you how I get on and good luck for March x

January 7, 2017 at 10:13 am
  • Reply Emma Day

You’ll cope. You’ll more than cope. It’s hard going back, I will be facing this too at the end of March and I’m dreading it. I love my job, but I have loved every second with my baby and hate the thought of leaving him to go back to work. I’m planning to do less hours when I go back but still haven’t sorted childcare yet. I hope all goes smoothly for you as you transition back into work. x
    Emma Day recently posted…New Years Resolutions and GoalsMy Profile

January 6, 2017 at 4:01 pm

Thanks Emma. I know I feel so happy when I’m at home but I like my job too. It’s like I feel a bit torn. I hope all goes well for you in a few months x

January 9, 2017 at 4:46 pm
  • Reply Divya @ Eat. Teach. Blog.

I’m not a mum, but I really admire people who can be both mama’s and also working parents. It’s a tough thing to juggle, but somehow, someway, everyone does it and it works for them. You will be okay <3 Sounds like you've got quite the supportive hubby!

January 6, 2017 at 1:46 pm
  • Reply Amber Myers

Good luck with it! This would be tough. I hope everyone adjusts okay!
    Amber Myers recently posted…Hey Parents, Your Hatchimal Isn’t CursingMy Profile

January 6, 2017 at 1:45 pm
  • Reply motherhoodtherealdeal

Eeek! Such a big transition! Going back to work is always hard and takes such adjustment for all. Wishing you the best of luck lovely xx
    motherhoodtherealdeal recently posted…Would you ever allow your partner to donate sperm?My Profile

January 6, 2017 at 1:42 pm

January 7, 2017 at 10:15 am
  • Reply Welsh Cakes and Wellies

I just started back in November and I’m glad I did. I enjoy the different type of challenge that work provides and I find that I make even more of my days off with kids as I cherish the time off work. Sounds like you have a great work, and you’re lucky to have a fantastic working pattern. I currently do 3 days which I love. Good luck with it all, it’s not surprising that you are anxious, but I’m sure you’ll be great and loving the new routine in no time x
    Welsh Cakes and Wellies recently posted…Beautiful Bryngarw ParkMy Profile

January 6, 2017 at 12:36 pm

Thanks lovely, I think I will enjoy a challenge it’s always just such a juggling act isn’t it. Hope work is going well for you x

January 7, 2017 at 10:15 am