Baby

Weaning Regression

I thought we were doing so well with weaning. Darcey started early to help with her Reflux and has been eating so well until December. All of a sudden we have had weaning regression. She has decided some days to barely eat anything at all. Even when I tempt her with other options she still won’t eat.

No mummy I don’t want the food. This is her push it away technique.

Weaning Routine

Breakfast : 8:00 Baby muesli with a 6oz bottle of formula

Snack : 10:30/11:00 Fruit

Lunch : 12:30/13:00 One pre-made ice cube of food about 90g and 45g of fruit

Bottle : 16:00 a 7oz bottle of formula

Dinner : 17:30 One pre-made ice cube of food about 90g and 45g of fruit

Bedtime : 19:00 A 8oz bottle of formula

This has been our rough routine since she was 7 months old. I remember with the boys that by the time they were 1 they had increased the food and were only having 2 bottles a day, morning and night. I’ve tried to do the same with Darcey but she is having none of it.

What does she eat

I give her a wide variety of foods, some of her favourites are here. She can’t have dairy so I use her special formula milk in cooking.  She likes most foods though and will often try anything that we are eating as well. The one thing she refuses to eat are any form of are pouches or baby food apart from the pureed fruit. While this is great as it’s cheaper for me to cook all her food it is a bit inconvenient when we are going out for the day!

Weaning regression

Like all things with babies you think you’ve got it cracked and then it all goes wrong. For the last 3-4 weeks she’s been;

• refusing food completely
  • taking food in her mouth, not swallowing it and then spitting it out
  • taking the food out of her mouth and throwing it at me.

Such a delightful child, and with a busy life and two other kids this is driving me slowly mad! I keep telling myself that she’ll eat when she’s hungry, and if she doesn’t want to eat then don’t stress about it. As soon as she starts to throw the food I take it away and get her out of the highchair.  Some days she will eat and the next day refuses the same food, I think she’s a bit of a Diva.

That’s much better, happier with my bottle.

If she wakes in the night and I can’t settle her then I’m having to give her another bottle to calm her down. I really don’t want to start getting into bad habits now but I can’t force her to eat during the day. She looks healthy enough and certainly isn’t loosing any weight so she must be getting what she needs from the food.

Anyone got any tips or words of encouragement? If you have a link to a post you’ve written then please leave it in the comments section.

• Reply Kat (Confessions of a Working Mum)

I think you just have to persevere. Willow can be like this sometimes. I think it’s because they are growing and learning so much at this age that it gets overwhelming and they kick back by refusing food, refusing to nap etc. Have you tried reducing the amount of milk she has during the day? We did that for Willow
    and she seems to be eating more but it still depends from day to day. When she wants to eat she will – it’s more frustrating for you than anything!

January 8, 2017 at 9:44 pm

Thanks Kat, I have tried to reduce the milk but she’s having none of that and just cries for it.

January 9, 2017 at 4:41 pm
  • Reply Helena

With our youngest now beginning to wean we are suggesting that little one may eat the eldest’s food if she’s not careful. If littlest falls asleep and leaves half her feed then eldest swoops in for it. #tribalchat

January 6, 2017 at 10:35 pm
  • Reply Jemma

My favourite phrase with children is : it’s all a phase. There are so many phases but thank goodness they pass quickly! We’re going through the sleep regression phase at the moment! Hope it gets better soon x
    Jemma recently posted…Our Thankful Wishing tree and Family Bucket List 2017My Profile

January 6, 2017 at 8:13 pm

Thanks Jemma I hope things improve sleep wise with you soon x

January 7, 2017 at 10:12 am
  • Reply motherhoodtherealdeal

I remember having this with our daughter. I think at that stage we just used to dump a really random mix of food on her tray and let her do what she wanted because it was too stressful otherwise, but in hindsight I think teething also played a large factor. Good luck and hope it passes soon!
    motherhoodtherealdeal recently posted…Would you ever allow your partner to donate sperm?My Profile

January 6, 2017 at 7:15 pm

Thanks I think teething is playing a big part of this as well. The cheeky monkey wouldn’t eat for me last night but as soon as daddy came home she’d eat for him!

January 7, 2017 at 10:13 am
  • Reply Helen @talking_mums

It’s so disheartening when home prepared food doesn’t get touched, spat out and thrown on the floor isn’t it. It drives be bonkers. I try to tell myself he’ll eat when he’s hungry and same – he hardly looks like he’s wasting away. A friend of mine put it well recently. She said we might eat soup one day and not really fancy it the next. I guess babies can be the same. It’s also one of the only ways babies can assert any authority (unluckily for us).
    Try not to worry too much, or spend too much time emptying the fridge in an attempt to find something she’ll eat.
    You’re doing a great job x
    #tribalchat

January 6, 2017 at 3:21 pm

That’s very true and good advice from your friend. There are days I don’t feel like eating much or I feel grumpy, must be the same for babies. It is frustrating though! x

January 7, 2017 at 10:14 am
  • Reply Karen | TwoTinyHands

Totally normal I guess. I’ve always just gone with what my boy needs and wants. I try not to worry and trust his own instincts. If he was hungry he’d eat. It’s frustrating sometimes when all he wants is cheese! Your doing good!! #triballove

January 6, 2017 at 9:36 am

Thanks Karen I agree I think I’ve just got to let this phase pass and as long as she’s growing she’s clearly getting what she needs. x

January 6, 2017 at 9:44 am
  • Reply Chloe Ciliberto

We had regression at one point and it was so frustrating because I was hand making and freezing all these delicious meals (in ice cube form) for my daughter. She went through a phase of spitting them out despite previously liking them. She also lost a bit of weight, but our health visitor told us to keep going. Change up the flavours, keep her in the routine and if she is hungry, she will eat regardless of what it is. In the end it worked, but it took a while. x
    Chloe Ciliberto recently posted…7 NATURAL WAYS TO MANAGE ANXIETYMy Profile

January 5, 2017 at 10:11 am

Thanks Chloe I’m exactly the same, I make all these nice meals and she won’t eat them. The last few days I’ve been giving her a bit of what I cook her brothers and she’s had that and eaten. Last night was breaded chicken olives and tomatoes, probably not the healthiest thing to give her but if she eats I’m happy. x

January 6, 2017 at 9:38 am
  • Reply Emmie, Unsigned

When babies are born they should come with a warning attached “Subject to change overnight, for the rest of our lives!”.
    Mini Me 2 is 2 and has been in some type of regression for the last few months – he won’t feed himself, he won’t go to sleep without a parent in the room, he wakes in the night and refuses to go back to sleep in his bed.

Count to 10 and repeat after me: This, too, shall pass!

Emmie xo
    Emmie, Unsigned recently posted…Chicken, Mushroom & Spinach CurryMy Profile

January 4, 2017 at 10:42 pm

I love this mantra. Thanks for the words of encouragement. Just when you think you’ve got them worked out they go and change!. x

January 6, 2017 at 9:39 am
  • Reply Deborah Nicholas

My only tip would be to persevere, it certainly looks like you have it all in hand and you know what, i didnt have a schedule etc with my kids, they just ate when they were hungry and they all turned out fine. Believe me when i say they will let you know when they want something! lol
    Deborah Nicholas recently posted…Tips For Keeping Your Makeup Bag Stocked Up When You’re On A BudgetMy Profile

January 4, 2017 at 5:41 pm

Thanks Deborah, I’m sure she’ll soon start eating when she’s hungry enough. Just wish it didn’t affect her night time sleeping. We’re a bit tired at the moment.

January 6, 2017 at 9:40 am
  • Reply MELANIE EDJOURIAN

Kids are always a bit up and down with eating so I wouldn’t worry too much. My little man is two and although he now eats most meals he does have times he just wants some milk. He always makes up for it next meal around. As long as they are a healthy weight which your little cutie seems to be I wouldn’t worry too much.
    MELANIE EDJOURIAN recently posted…Blogging Goals for 2017My Profile

January 4, 2017 at 5:30 pm

Thanks Melanie, I agree just trying to not let it bother me.

January 6, 2017 at 9:40 am
  • Reply Little Pickle's Mom

Oh no, I wish I could offer some help but Pickle is only 7 months old and I’m definitely only at the start of our weaning journey. I don’t think he eats a large amount at all (mainly just bits of fruit and veg – more like large snacks than meals) but to be honest, most of that just ends up in a mush or on the floor! It’s so hard ot know how much they actually eat, isn’t it? Or is that just me? Hope Darcey regains her appetite soon!
    Little Pickle’s Mom recently posted…Blogging Goals for 2017My Profile

January 4, 2017 at 10:03 am

Thanks she’d definitely growing so getting what she needs. It’s hard when they feed themselves to know what they’re having but I’m sure she’ll let me know if she’s hungry.

January 6, 2017 at 9:41 am

My only tip is to persevere, they all go through it at some stage. I used to offer Sebby snacks throughout the day as he preferred to graze than to have three meals a day
    ChelseaMamma recently posted…Keeping Warm and Dry this Winter with Mountain Warehouse and Hotter ShoesMy Profile

January 4, 2017 at 7:58 am

Thanks Kara, I think Darcey will be more like Sebby a grazer. She gets easily distracted when eating and wants to go and play.

January 6, 2017 at 9:42 am
  • Reply Natalia

I’m sorry to hear that. I don’t have children but I think it’s a common issue. If she is not loosing weight, it should be ok. I saw kids more encouraged to eat if they see other people eating at the same too 🙂 x

January 3, 2017 at 9:49 pm

It must be so difficult but I think it is normal and if she still has milk at least she has some food in her belly x

January 3, 2017 at 8:30 pm
  • Reply Rachel

I have no helpful words of wisdom as I have no children but I am sure curiosity will eventually get the better of her x
    Rachel recently posted…Merci Handy Cleansing Hand GelsMy Profile

January 3, 2017 at 6:45 pm
  • Reply Grant R

Words of advice from a dad who’s been through this three times! Don’t worry. Everything at that age is a phase. Stick with the direction in which you want her to go. She’ll get bored of the novelty of resisting and her instinct and hunger will lead her on the right path. Good luck and don’t worry 🙂
    Grant R recently posted…My 2016 in Posts – July to DecemberMy Profile

January 3, 2017 at 5:57 pm

Thanks I think I just need to chill out a bit. As long as she isn’t losing weight she must be fine. Hopefully the phase will be over soon.

January 3, 2017 at 9:30 pm