Days out

Christmas trip to London

On Sunday and Monday we had a Christmas trip to London. We live about 2 hours south of London and we all love visiting as there is just so much to do. Now we’re a family of 5 this can sometimes be tricky. Having an 11 month old with the boys 8 & 9 needs a bit more planning. My mum had booked this as an early Christmas Present for us to surprise the boys.

Parking

We decided to drive up into London and booked parking with Just Park. This is a great app I’ve downloaded and you can search for parking and pay in advance. I’ve used this twice and 2 days in the centre of London cost us £25 which I thought was really reasonable. It was easy to find and super easy to book.

Hotel

We are big fans of the Premier Inn. The rooms are really reasonable and one family room can accommodate the five of us as Darcey is a baby. We stayed at Old Street Premier Inn and this was our second visit. The hotel was really clean and comfortable and the staff were so helpful. The boys love staying at Premier Inn as the like the breakfast. You’ll realise reading my blog how much my boys love food. The kids eat free with a paying adult and it’s all you can eat. Needless to say the boys made the most of the breakfast on offer! The hotel was really reasonable and for a Sunday night with breakfast it was £66.

Getting around

We used a tube map planner and a city map app to plan our journey around London. As I can’t lift anything my husband got the short straw. He had Darcey in the baby carrier and had to carry the pushchair on the tube. It wasn’t too much trouble and we managed it without any problems.

Christmas Fun

When we arrived we headed to Selfridges as I’d heard rave reviews about their Salt Beef Sandwiches. We weren’t disappointed and shared three sandwiches between the four of us, even Darcey tucked in. The boys wanted to look around the toy department and were amazed at everything on offer.

Harrods

We enjoyed wandering around Regent and Bond Street looking at the Christmas lights and also saw the tree at Trafalgar Square. Although it’s nearly Christmas it really didn’t seem anymore busy than normal around London.

Christmas Lights

Christmas Lights Regent Street

Christmas Tree Trafalgar Square

Christmas Tree Trafalgar Square

No trip around the shops would be complete without a little visit to Harrods. The ice cream parlour is amazing. We ordered the Harrods special sundae and shared it between the four of us, the boys thought this was fantastic.

Harrods Special Ice Cream Sundae

Harrods Special Ice Cream Sundae

I love looking around Harrods, it’s like a different world. Some of the things they have for sale are just amazing although I’m constantly telling the kids not to touch anything! The staff couldn’t have been nicer and gave me a nice place to sit when Darcey needed feeding .

As part of the Christmas present we also received tickets to the Star Wars Identities Exhibition at the O2. I will let you know all about this in the next post.

Have you visited London, what do you like doing?

• Reply Newcastle Family Life

I love London at Christmas, I took my eldest a few years ago and she loved visiting Santa at Hamleys and visiting winter wonderland. It sounds like you had a wonderful time x
    Newcastle Family Life recently posted…My 10 Most Popular Blog Posts Of 2016My Profile

January 2, 2017 at 12:23 pm

wow, you re brave taking the boys – I have only ever been xmas shopping in london once and I swore I would never do it again
    ChelseaMamma recently posted…Marvel Universe LIVE – Super Heroes AssembleMy Profile

December 26, 2016 at 9:41 am
  • Reply Chloe Ciliberto

I love London at this time of year. It sounds like such a magical time to go. It looks like you all had such a fab time. I get so stressed going alone when it’s busy, I’m so impressed you went with little ones! x
    Chloe Ciliberto recently posted…IT’S STARTING TO LOOK A LOT LIKE #NETFLIXMASMy Profile

December 24, 2016 at 9:01 am
  • Reply Kerry Norris

Looks like you had a fab time. I haven’t been at Christmas for ages. We love premier inn too x
    Kerry Norris recently posted…The Christmas Blogger Interview – Kirsty DeeMy Profile

December 24, 2016 at 8:47 am
  • Reply Cathy Glynn

I wish we could stay in London at Christmas time, it looks so magical. Have a great Christmas xx

December 24, 2016 at 6:05 am
  • Reply Evelina

I live in London is truly magical during Christmas. So tempted to try out salt beef sandwiches at Selfridges, sounds delicious.
    Evelina recently posted…What To Wear On Christmas DayMy Profile

December 23, 2016 at 3:51 pm
  • Reply Alina

I live around London & used to work in the centre so been and done loads. I think you’ve actually got a good deal with parking coz it could literally cost and arm and a leg haha! Looks like you had loads of fun 🙂

December 22, 2016 at 5:00 pm
  • Reply clairejustine

I love London but we do not get to go very often now we have a dog. It looks magical!! Oh wow, so does that ice-cream sundae 🙂
    clairejustine recently posted…Gluten Free Vanilla Cheesecake…My Profile

December 22, 2016 at 12:59 pm
  • Reply Sarah - let them be small

ah such lovely pics. We took our three into Manchester last week – it’s magical seeing the city ready for Christmas from young eyes x

December 21, 2016 at 9:07 pm
  • Reply Vai Chin @Rambling Through Parenthood

Been to London loads, but never over Christmas. I really must change all that. It looks amazing!
    Vai Chin @Rambling Through Parenthood recently posted…Underneath A Magical MoonMy Profile

December 21, 2016 at 8:05 pm

Oh wow how lovely and festive! We have never been to London at Christmas but when the children are a little bit older I would love to! They would love to see all of the lights and the trees!
    Five Little Doves recently posted…The Christmas TagMy Profile

December 21, 2016 at 7:47 pm
  • Reply motherhoodtherealdeal

London is so magical at this time of year and looks like you had an incredible time lovely – thanks for sharing your day out with us x
    motherhoodtherealdeal recently posted…Who is more worried about their hair…you or him?My Profile

December 21, 2016 at 11:16 am
  • Reply Sophie

Looks like an amazing trip! I love the angels on Regrnt St this year!

December 21, 2016 at 10:55 am