Baby Pregnancy

Effects of my Medication on my Newborn

This is actually quite a difficult post to write and one I was in two minds about. Taking medication during pregnancy is never an easy decision when it may have side effects on your baby.

Before my pregnancy I had spinal fusion surgery and experienced a large amount of pain throughout the pregnancy. As there aren’t a lot of medications that you can take when you’re pregnant I was prescribed slow release morphine to help keep the pain at a more manageable level. It wasn’t an easy decision to start taking the medication. I was well aware that the baby would be getting small doses of whatever I took and would ultimately have an effect on her. However on the other side, I couldn’t walk or function due to the pain.  After weighing up all the options I started to take a low dose.

After the birth

I was told that after the baby was born she would be monitored for a few hours just to make sure that she was OK but would remain in the room with me. After my delivery everything was great, she latched on to feed straight away and seemed as happy as any other little newborn.

new baby

Just born and doing great

When we left the hospital that same day I was told to watch out for any signs that she might be struggling in the first 24 hours. Look out for excessive crying, breathing difficulties and any jitteriness. The first 24 hours passed by absolutely fine and there were no side effects on my daughter at all.

Side effects

Then we got to night number 2 when Darcey was about 40 hours old. That night neither of us slept there was screaming like I haven’t heard before. In our sleep deprived state my husband and I initially didn’t put 2 and 2 together. We got to the morning and I said, “I really think there is something wrong,” I’m sure the boys didn’t cry like this when they were tiny. We couldn’t console Darcey, she just wouldn’t settle and became jerky.

Back to hospital

We called the maternity unit and they asked us to go into the children’s ward to be checked over. They thought she was having withdrawal from the morphine I took. I felt awful, so guilty, it was all my fault that she was having to go through this. The doctors were fantastic and gave her a thorough check over and confirmed that it was withdrawal. She was given a tiny bit of formula to supplement my milk that hadn’t come in yet and get her sugar levels up.

We were admitted for 36 hours so that they could keep a close eye on Darcey. The plan was if she didn’t get any worse, they would just let it run its course and not intervene. It was another really long night but she calmed down the next day and became far less jerky. I felt like I was the worst mum in the world and kept apologising to the staff who were amazing at both consoling me as they were at looking after Darcey.

finally over the side effects

In hospital and finally getting over the side effects

It was awful to see her screaming and so unhappy but she did get better 24-48 hours after the symptoms started and she hasn’t had any more side effects. She was still getting a small amount of the morphine through my breast milk until I was able to stop taking it. It was just that first week that was a bit of a shock to her system.

• Reply aNoviceMum

So pleased for you that she’s much better now; it must have been awful watching her struggle. Medication in pregnancy is such a tricky one, but also a need sometimes, which makes the alternative a worse option. I’m really glad that you’re in a better place with it now. #UKParentBloggers
    aNoviceMum recently posted…How to Make a Tree of Life Breastfeeding Magical Photo in 3 Key StepsMy Profile

December 19, 2016 at 12:27 am
  • Reply Steph at Mental Parentals

Oh you poor soul – it must’ve been awful to watch. I imagine it’s a difficult decision to make during pregnancy though. I’m glad everything worked out and it’s nice to hear that the staff in hospital were good with you xx
    Steph at Mental Parentals recently posted…Cutting a First Tooth with Matchstick Monkey – ReviewMy Profile

December 17, 2016 at 7:22 pm
  • Reply Katy Stevens

I hope you’re recovered now. Don’t feel bad – sometimes such things are necessary x

December 17, 2016 at 5:50 pm

Oh bless her, it must have been horrible for you both. It is not the same but I had Gestational diabetes when pregnant and Sebby has to be closely monitored when I had him and his sugar levels went so low he needed a formula top up
    ChelseaMamma recently posted…Saturday is Caption Day – 17th December 2016 #satcapMy Profile

December 17, 2016 at 10:18 am
  • Reply Evelina

Oh no, sorry to hear this. I hope both of you are feeling better now. Darcey is such a cutie!
    Evelina recently posted…Do’s and Don’ts of Wearing The One Shoulder TopMy Profile

December 15, 2016 at 3:39 pm
  • Reply clairejustine

I can imagine it being a very difficult time. It is always good to write down your thoughts so you can help someone else. I wish we had the internet for information when mine were little 🙂 Hope everything is OK now.
    clairejustine recently posted…Cavolo Nero, Cranberry & Prawn Cocktail…My Profile

December 14, 2016 at 8:01 pm
  • Reply wha2wear

she looks so pretty! I’m glad she is better now and, please, don’t blame yourself about it because you didn’t choose to be ill and need morphine! I’m sure everything is going to be great 🙂 x
    wha2wear recently posted…4 Shocking things that happened to Celebrities in 2016My Profile

December 14, 2016 at 6:27 am

Wow I never knew that the consequences of morphine could affect the newborn as well. Poor you but at least you got through the week x
    Ana De-Jesus recently posted…Caitlyn JennerMy Profile

December 13, 2016 at 10:47 pm
  • Reply Holly Campbell-Smith

That was understandably difficult, and equally as difficult I imagine for you to write. I am due with my second on December 18th (so a few days) and like you aware that anything I take the baby will have small doses of. I have arthritis in my lower back and was worried that this second pregnancy would aggravate the area and make it almost impossible to function, I have been very lucky and this has not been the case as I had all these thoughts going through my mind about withdrawals for the baby, what it might do to his/her growth etc. I applaud you for your strength, as like you I would have felt guilty but it’s something you have to get through together, which you have with a beautiful outcome.

December 13, 2016 at 8:16 pm

Thanks Holly. I’m glad your pregnancy has been OK and your back hasn’t been too bad. Hope everything goes smoothly and your little baby arrives in time for Christmas xx

December 13, 2016 at 8:51 pm
  • Reply Ann

Oh Noooo…how heart breaking! It must have been so difficult for you and you shouldn’t blame yourself at all. It had to be done the the circumstances. Do you know how long is the weaning process for Darcy, if any at all?

Somehow thints have a way of working out. Stay strong! Thanks for sharing your story. 🙂

December 13, 2016 at 6:20 pm

She was fine after day 3, she was still getting a tiny amount in my breast milk but I had stopped taking it by the time she was 8 weeks old. She is absolutely fine now x

December 13, 2016 at 8:52 pm
  • Reply Joanna

Bless her I am sure that she will be fine with no lasting affects. Please don’t blame yourself though you did what u thought was best by taking medication that would help u.

December 13, 2016 at 5:57 pm

Thanks Joanna, I find being a mum I feel guilty about everything 🙂

December 13, 2016 at 8:52 pm
  • Reply Jen

Darcey is beautiful, and the photo of you together is wonderful too. You mustn’t feel guilt, you did it on medical grounds and with medical advice. It is unfortunate that there were consequences, but you dealt with it the best way you could. Hope you’re all doing fine and dandy now. (I’m Janet Robertson-Peverley on FB)

December 13, 2016 at 4:41 pm

Thanks Janet, yes she’s all fine now and I managed to stopped taking the morphine after she was born. It was just a struggle that first week x

December 13, 2016 at 8:54 pm

I can relate to this, I took medication throughout my pregnancies for various health issues and my babies had to be monitored afterwards incase of any withdrawal, I felt incredibly guilty about that but it couldn’t be helped. My babies were all fine thank god, it’s just an added worry isn’t it?
    Five Little Doves recently posted…Arts and crafts with toucanBoxMy Profile

December 13, 2016 at 2:21 pm

Thanks for commenting, it’s reassuring to know I’m not the only one. I’m glad that your babies were all fine. Your right it is just something else to worry about, as if we don’t have enough on our plate when pregnant x

December 13, 2016 at 8:57 pm
  • Reply Sharon Parry

She is totally adorable – and fast asleep!! You did what you had to do and it sounds as if it is all behind you know. It was really great that you shared your story for all the other Mums who may be in the same position.

December 13, 2016 at 2:18 pm
  • Reply Cathy Glynn

Oh bless her, she is absolutely adorable and I am sure there will be no lasting effects. I hope you are ok and enjoying your time as a new mum now that things have settled down.x
    Cathy Glynn recently posted…5 Ways to Cope as a Divorced/Seperated Parent at ChristmasMy Profile

December 13, 2016 at 12:33 pm

Thanks Cathy, yes she is absolutely fine now. I’m glad the hospital told me what to look out for, they were fantastic x

December 13, 2016 at 8:58 pm
  • Reply motherhoodtherealdeal

Oh my goodness…as we all know by now, there is never a perfect scenario but this must have been difficult to experience – thank you for sharing x
    motherhoodtherealdeal recently posted…To the imperfect mum at ChristmasMy Profile

December 13, 2016 at 11:53 am

Thanks, I hope other mums out there that have gone through this know they aren’t alone and it will pass.

December 13, 2016 at 9:00 pm