Baby

Weaning ideas

This weekend I’ve been cooking up a storm for Darcey. When I started weaning she decided very early on that she wasn’t going to eat the pouches of food. To some extent I can’t blame her, they can be really sweet and don’t taste that great. I’m not the best cook in the world and needed some inspiration. I downloaded the Ella’s Kitchen First Foods App which has a lot of good recipes that I’ve been following.

Benefits of home cooking

• Darcey is dairy free at the moment so I can adapt the recipes and use her formula milk to cook with.
  • I know exactly what goes into the food, there’s nothing processed, no additives and no salt.
  • It’s good food that you or I would eat, nothing too sweet or full of sugar.
  • It’s so much cheaper than buying baby food. £6 of salmon made 28 meals for her. The tomato pasta I make is 8p a portion.
  • I can blend the food to the correct consistency for Darcey as she grows.

How to start

Like all busy mums trying to juggle babies, work and general life I don’t have a lot of free time. Once every 4-5 weeks I do a big cook up. I use the app and pick 5 different recipes and over the course of the weekend start cooking. I bought 2 of these Nuby baby ice cube trays. I’ve been using them for the last 5 months and they are great. Another great purchase is a handheld stick blender. I bought mine 9 years ago when I had Will and it’s still working fine.

On a Saturday I will cook up 2 of the meals. I pop them in the ice cube trays and in the freezer over night. In the morning I simply take them out of the trays and put the food in labelled bags so I can use the trays again. On a Sunday I cook the other 2-3 meals. If I do it in the morning I can freeze one batch and by the time I go to bed they are done ready for any remainder food to go in.

Favourite foods

Turkey and Apricot Casserole
Turkey and Apricot Casserole

Turkey and Apricot Casserole

This is the first time I’ve cooked this dish. It was very easy to make all I needed was;

• Turkey mince
  • Pearl barley
  • Spinach
  • Apricot
  • Thyme
  • Baby Milk – I substituted whole milk for her formula milk.
Salmon and Potato Parcels
Salmon and Potato Parcels

Salmon and Potato Parcels

This is a really easy recipe to make as it’s roasted in the oven. You’ll need;

• Salmon
  • Potatoes
  • Green beans
  • Coriander
  • Formula milk or whole milk

This is one of Darcey’s favourite dinners. If smells amazing and tastes pretty good too, until I add her baby milk!

Cod, Rice and Beans
Cod, Rice and Beans

Cod, Rice and Beans

I’ve been making this for Darcey since she was 6 months old and is a firm favourite. I use;

• Cod or haddock
  • Basmati rice
  • Passata
  • Haricot Beans
  • Green Beans
  • Oregano
Tomato Pasta
Tomato Pasta

Tomato Pasta

This is one of my recipes and I’ve adapted it from one of our favourite diners. I use;

• Star pasta
  • Courgette
  • Mushrooms
  • Passata
  • Oregano

When we eat this we add more spice and chorizo so this is a much better baby friendly version for Darcey.

The first 3 recipes are all available from the Ella’s Kitchen First Foods App, it cost me £3.99 to download the recipes.

Have you got a favourite recipe I can try out?

• Reply Zena's Suitcase

These sound like great recipes. I can see why she likes them so much. I made some foods, but did use some pouches for convenience and when I was stuck for ideas
    Zena’s Suitcase recently posted…Supporting A Child’s Education With Bayard + 6 Month Subscription #GiveawayMy Profile

December 9, 2016 at 8:10 pm
  • Reply Laura H

Those salmon and potato parcels look yummy and easy to make too!

December 9, 2016 at 11:19 am

I am so glad I am past this stage – I used to puree pretty much everything
    ChelseaMamma recently posted…Happy #FrugiFamily ChristmasMy Profile

December 8, 2016 at 9:03 pm
  • Reply fashionandstylepolice

Lovely recipes here. I like the sound of the tomato dish.
    fashionandstylepolice recently posted…How to Market your BlogMy Profile

December 8, 2016 at 5:06 pm
  • Reply Ella Ivoire

This all looks so good!
    PS I’m LOVING to follow you on instagram xx

December 8, 2016 at 12:25 am
  • Reply Angela Milnes

These are fab ideas and I love the the idea of freezing the meals in an ice cube tray. Very good!
    Angela Milnes recently posted…Moving House And Choosing New CarpetMy Profile

December 7, 2016 at 9:53 pm

Oh what lovely ideas! Makes a change from when I weaned my first and all he would eat is potato and carrot mash!
    Five Little Doves recently posted…Christmas gift ideas for young childrenMy Profile

December 7, 2016 at 7:57 pm
  • Reply clairejustine

I use to love making my babies home made meals. Great ideas 🙂
    clairejustine recently posted…Blackberry Cake..My Profile

December 7, 2016 at 7:47 pm
  • Reply Emmie, Unsigned

How old is Darcy? We tried Mini Me 2 with baby led weaning and he didn’t accept at all… he ended up wanting mush/chunky mush well into his 1st birthday!

We try to incorporate a lot of flavour and seasoning into the foods we make when weaning so when they get bigger they can handle the dinner we eat (for example, they both now eat Curry Mutton or Chicken Soup).

Like you, we’ve had our hand held blender since Mini Me 1 came about 4+ years ago lol and we still love it – they’re cheap, easy and do the job!

December 7, 2016 at 7:26 pm

Darcey is 11 months now. If we’re having a dinner with no dairy then we give her some of our food too. She doesn’t do baby led weaning either! She won’t even have he bottle by herself, she just wants me to do it all for her.

December 7, 2016 at 7:41 pm
  • Reply Kerry Norris

Fab post. It’s defo cheaper to home cook than to buy baby foods. The apricot casserole sounds lovely x
    Kerry Norris recently posted…Ophelia’s 1 year updateMy Profile

December 6, 2016 at 10:40 pm

I love the meals that you are making for her. The tomato pasta dish looks lovely !

December 6, 2016 at 10:09 pm
  • Reply Renna

Great post. I used to make my own baby foods too. Make large batch and then freeze it. I preferred it to using ready made foods.

December 6, 2016 at 9:01 pm
  • Reply Keely's Nails

Anything with sweet potato seems to go down well!
    Keely’s Nails recently posted…Chanel Nail Polish Holiday 2016 SwatchesMy Profile

December 6, 2016 at 7:14 pm
  • Reply Deborah Nicholas

I love these recipes! We have always given our kids whatever we have had, shop bought jars etc are so expensive!

December 6, 2016 at 10:44 am