Baby Family

Exploring books

exploring first books

When is it time to start reading to your child? I’m sure that Darcey is starting to understand things around her and what I am saying. I think it’s really important to start exploring books and sharing stories early on. Even when the midwife did Darcey’s 4 month check she gave us a book as part of the sure start pack. At this stage Darcey had no interest at all.

First books

At 9 months old I bought Darcey some of the Usbourne “That’s not my” books. I had these when the boys were little and they loved them. They are hard back books with about 5 different pages. There is a different texture for Darcey to feel on each page and a simple story.

First books

These books are perfect for her. I bought a few second hand so that she can play with them herself. She still likes to chew the edges a bit and throw them! I will sit and read them to her and she know where to feel for the different textures. At this stage it’s all about exploring new things. I have some more on her Christmas list.

Exploring books

Reading together

Next stage

I have kept all the boys favourite books from when they were little to start reading to Darcey. The Julia Donaldson ones were my favourite. I like the fact that we have some hardback books Darcey can hold and turn the pages, then there are the soft paper books that I will hold and read to her.

exploring books by herself

Making books part of playtime

Importance of reading

Reading with you child is a fun experience for both of you. This is how they will learn, it expands their imagination and as they get older it teaches them different vocabulary. When they learn to read themselves it helps with spelling and writing their own stories. The boys are now 8 & 9 and every night we have a bedtime story. Currently we are working our way through the Famous Five books, these were my favourite when I was little.

When the boys were little  my favourite books to read were, The Gruffalo, Snail and the Whale and Penguin Small. What are your favourite books to read at the moment?

• Reply Hannah | MakeDo&Push

We LOVE these books 🙂 H has quite a few in his stocking this year from the Big Man! xx
    Hannah | MakeDo&Push recently posted…Funky Kid Friday // Hosting #51My Profile

December 16, 2016 at 7:13 pm
  • Reply Lauren Belle Du Brighton

Both my kids love the ‘that’s not my’ books… perfect first introduction to books!
    Lauren Belle Du Brighton recently posted…What the kids read at ChristmasMy Profile

December 16, 2016 at 1:34 pm
  • Reply Sarah Cantwell

A great post! We love the that’s not my… books too, such a lovely way to get them all in to reading at an early age xx

December 15, 2016 at 9:57 pm
  • Reply Rebecca | AAUBlog

I think the ‘thats no my’ books are brilliant. My daughter still loves them and reading them back to me x
    Rebecca | AAUBlog recently posted…Eight Hours in Paris | VLOGMy Profile

December 15, 2016 at 9:27 pm
  • Reply Jenna

The “That’s not my…” range of books are fab. My toddler still enjoys feeling the different textures.

December 15, 2016 at 8:46 pm
  • Reply Tanita

Aw these books were such a great hit in our house. Both my children loved them. xx

December 15, 2016 at 12:49 pm
  • Reply Jenni

Lucas joined the library when he was 6 weeks old haha, I want him to have books around him x

December 2, 2016 at 9:08 pm
  • Reply Zena's Suitcase

I agree that it’s really import to read books from early on. It really helps bring on their communication. I love this series too, great for sensory development as well
    Zena’s Suitcase recently posted…Great Kids Books & Craft Supplies For ChristmasMy Profile

December 2, 2016 at 8:37 pm
  • Reply Alina

My sis is pregnant again so no doubt I’ll be buying more of these in the near future 🙂

December 2, 2016 at 4:53 pm
  • Reply Karen's obsessions

I loved buying my two books like these with the sections you could feel
    Karen’s obsessions recently posted…New Theme: IxionMy Profile

December 1, 2016 at 10:31 pm
  • Reply Amy Treasure

Aw they all look wonderful and bring back lots of memories!

December 1, 2016 at 9:50 pm

I still have all our favourite first books, they do go back to them too

December 1, 2016 at 9:22 pm
  • Reply Rachel

This is just so lovely and I think reading from an early age is so important x
    Rachel recently posted…Bigger and Bolder Brows with BenefitMy Profile

December 1, 2016 at 3:36 pm
  • Reply Keely's Nails

Reading to little ones is so important and really sets their interest in learning words and read book on their own.
    Keely’s Nails recently posted…Gradient Splatter nail art easy stamped designMy Profile

December 1, 2016 at 8:00 am
  • Reply wha2wear

omg, what a cute baby!! my boyfriend’s nephew also has those books with textures, he loves them. I know that the mom reads books to him every day but I’m sure about the titles…anyway, I totally agree with you and I think reading is really important!

December 1, 2016 at 7:15 am

These books look fab and I am glad that you are encouraging reading from such a young age it is so important!
    Ana De-Jesus recently posted…Caitlyn JennerMy Profile

November 30, 2016 at 10:29 pm
  • Reply Mellissa Williams

Reading to your children is so important. My son loved me reading to him when he was little. He enjoyed the Julia Donaldson books too and Captain Underpants books as well as Roald Dahl.
    Mellissa Williams recently posted…24 Hours In ViennaMy Profile

November 30, 2016 at 9:35 pm
  • Reply Dean B

Oh my goodness, this brings back so many memories! My daughter has had those books too and she enjoyed reading all of them 🙂
    Dean B recently posted…AnnouncementMy Profile