Back

Back Pain Relief

Finding effective back pain relief can be really difficult. When visiting the doctor there are lots of different types of medication they can prescribe. Over the years I have probably tried most of these prescription medications. I hate having to rely of them though and have found other ways to help manage my back pain.

Ice

Ice Pack

Ice is great way to get some relief. It helps take down any of the swelling and inflammation, after my surgeries I hired a special game ready ice machine which helped no end. Now if I get any pain over the surgery site I will use my ice pack and try sitting with it for 15 minutes at regular intervals during the day.

Heat

Heat pack

I had back surgery on my lumber spine but I get pain in all different areas. My posture isn’t great and my shoulders and neck hurt, which then lead to headaches. A heat pack is a great way to relieve this pain. I use a wheat bag from Patterson Medical that goes in the microwave and because it moulds to the shape of your body can sit across my shoulders or down my back. A hot water bottle will work as well but can be quite big and heavy to use on shoulders.

Massager

Dr Graeme general purpose massager

I was recently recommended the Dr Graeme general purpose massager. I bought one from a local chiropractor about a month ago. This has been really useful for me. I struggle with my glutes and IT band, so basically across my bum and down the side of my thighs. My physio will often treat these areas but they can be hard to release. I have been using this massager daily on these areas and noticed a big improvement. I have also used it on the lowest setting on my shoulder to relieve tension as well.

Tens Machine

Tens machine

These are definitely not just for women in labour! I’ve had a Tens machine for a couple of years now and it is great. I simply attach the 4 electrodes to the relevant area and start the machine off, I usually use a multiple session the can give long and short pulses. It can be easily worn under clothes and is very portable. This really helps relieve my back pain and as I ¬†get used to the sensations I can adjust the intensity. This is the best item I have bought to relieve back pain.

Exercise

Gone are the days when bed rest was recommended. Exercise is important at managing back pain. You need to strength the muscles and ensure that you maintain a good posture. The type of exercise you need to do will depend on your injury and what muscles you need to strengthen. Talking to a physio will enable you to be set appropriate exercises to help manage your pain. Spine health has a good article on exercise to relieve back pain.

What have you found is useful for managing pain? I’m always looking out to try new things.

• Reply James

I’ve been on medication for my back for years but I think it’s causing high blood pressure so I would love to find a way off them. I mostly work on it with exercise and I have a massager, I’m wondering about a tens machine now though – thanks for the reminder of that!
    James recently posted…Best kettlebells to buy and use in your home gym in 2017My Profile

December 15, 2016 at 8:16 am

The tens machine is great. I always try it before taking extra medication. I like it because you can wear it under clothes and still get on and do things.

December 16, 2016 at 12:49 pm
  • Reply Chloe Ciliberto

I need some of these in my life!! I have such bad shoulders and I’m due surgery next year. it’s so painful to sleep on. I’m definitely going to try some of these options. x
    Chloe Ciliberto recently posted…5 WAYS TO FIND THE BALANCE AS A WORKING MUMMy Profile

December 4, 2016 at 6:37 pm
  • Reply Evelina

Great suggestions! I used to have pretty bad back pain. Yoga helped me a lot.

November 27, 2016 at 8:39 pm
  • Reply Anosa

I had a tens machine that really helped me with pain but hot or cold pressed helped too sometimes

November 26, 2016 at 8:48 pm
  • Reply Let's Flip A Home

I haven’t really struggled with back pain before, but when I have I have just found heat really helps me. I struggle with a shoulder pain that comes and goes and heat helps with that as well. Thanks for sharing your suggestions though, the massager sounds like something worth trying in the future.

November 26, 2016 at 12:32 pm
  • Reply Alina

I used to do cheerleading and had backache quite often so this would have been amazing to have. Wish I knew about these things.

November 25, 2016 at 5:56 pm

Sorry to hear about your surgery. I have scoliosis, a dislocated deltoid and hyper mobile joints so my back and joints need some pain relief .

November 25, 2016 at 4:34 pm

I relied on my heat pack when I had back pain. Love the idea of a massager too

November 25, 2016 at 11:44 am
  • Reply Cathy Glynn

I feel your pain! I recently had back surgery and the consultant isn’t sure whether I have nerve damage. I think I need to invest in a TENS machine x

November 25, 2016 at 9:16 am

Hope you’re recovering well. The Tens is definitely worth the investment. Gives me a lot of relief x

November 26, 2016 at 8:38 pm

I have tried all of these things, I’ve had back issues since I had my eldest 12 years ago and then broke my back five years ago before I had my third baby. After five babies, two breaks, a broken coccyx and three bulging discs, it’s safe to say that my back is screwed. I’m awaiting surgery in the new year!

November 24, 2016 at 6:56 pm

Oh no sorry you’ve got to have more surgery. I hope it goes well for you x

November 26, 2016 at 8:37 pm