Baby

Having a Reflux Baby

Dealing with reflux in babies can be really difficult. My oldest son was diagnosed with silent reflux at 5 motnhs. My second son was diagnosed with reflux at 6 weeks and suffered very badly. When I was pregnant with Darcey I knew it would probably be the same for her and around 5 weeks she was diagnosed with reflux as well.

Diagnosing reflux

I wrote a post about looking out for reflux in babies. It’s natural for babies to cry and be slightly sick. Darcey however was very sick, not just after every feed but all the time. This can be hard for parents as babies can’t be comforted. I suffered from severe heartburn when pregnant and the thought of my baby constantly having the acid sensation in her throat and stomach is upsetting.

Ben had a scan when he was a baby and I could see the milk moving in and out of his stomach as the valve at the top wouldn’t stay closed. The doctors said they don’t really offer this now and that the standard procedure if they suspect reflux is to treat it. Darcey was given 3 different medications, Gaviscon to thicken her milk, Domperidone to encourage the food to move through her quicker and Ranitidine to supress the acid.

Reflux

One of the very funny photos I have of Darcey’s reflux!

Improvement

I’m pleased to say that at 10 months we are now seeing a big difference. She is far less sick and we have stopped the Domperidone. She still has the Gaviscon in her bottles 3 times a day and the Ranitidine morning and night.

Now that Darcey is weaned and eating proper food it is staying down a lot better. Also the fact she is far more upright with sitting and crawling has really helped. She is a lot more contented. I have tried to decrease the two medications she is still taking but the reflux comes back so she clearly needs to take these for the time being.

Dairy Free

We last had a check up with the paediatricians when she was 9 months. They have asked me to keep her dairy free until she is 18 months as dairy intolerance and reflux can go hand in hand. Then when she is 18 months they will start her on the milk ladder to introduce it slowly into her system.

For me this is no problem, she has prescription formula milk that is dairy free. I cook her food so anytime I need to add milk I use her formula. I also use her formula in her muesli and porridge in the morning.

It does get better

I know that being a parent of a reflux baby can be hard. Ben had really bad reflux, he would aspirate and get awfull chest infections. He had 5 abnormal chest x-rays before he was 2 years old. This would often lead to multiple course of antibiotics or on some occasions IV  antibiotics. He had a steroid inhaler to help his lungs as well. I promise it gets better though. I now have a strapping 8 year old who has no ongoing medical issues. He eats for England and has no further issues with his lungs.

• Reply MELANIE EDJOURIAN

Oh no, I can sympathise with you my eldest was similar and at the start we were in and out of hospital. It is worrying before you find out what the problem is. Glad she is getting better x

November 24, 2016 at 9:03 pm
  • Reply fashionandstylepolice

My kids has reflux. It was so hard then but got better.

November 24, 2016 at 5:19 pm

I am so relieved that none of mine suffered with this but I have friends with kids that did and remember it being a nightmare for her

November 24, 2016 at 10:49 am
  • Reply Anna-Maria

It must be terrible to watch that cute little baby suffer. I’m so happy she is doing better. x

November 24, 2016 at 8:26 am
  • Reply Jayne (@SMABLblog)

Oh so glad to hear that Darcey is now feeling better, it must be terrible to watch your little one suffer with reflux x

November 23, 2016 at 7:21 pm
  • Reply Healthy Cooking Mom

What a relief that you are able to now get the dairy free formula so glad she is doing better now 🙂

November 23, 2016 at 9:11 am

I know dairy free formula has been a real blessing and seemed to make such a difference to her

November 23, 2016 at 10:07 am
  • Reply Kizzy Bass

Love that photo. Luckily none of mine had reflux but I had many friends whose children did and I can empathise with how hard it is having a baby you cannot console.

November 23, 2016 at 6:16 am

I am so glad that the reflux is getting better now. As you said it can be tricky to deal with, especially in tiny babies. I have reflux myself .

November 23, 2016 at 1:23 am

I had it when pregnant and it was awful wouldn’t wish it on anyone.

November 23, 2016 at 10:08 am
  • Reply Laura Dove

My youngest daughter was in hospital for the first year of her life with what turned out to be severe reflux. She was very poorly and had countless tests and trialled on so many medications we lost count. In the end she grew out of it by her first birthday although now, at three and a half her gag reflex is still poor and she is sick very easily! It’s awful seeing your child suffer, I still feel emotional when I look back at that time.

November 22, 2016 at 7:45 pm

Sorry to hear about your youngest, I’m glad she is getting better now. It’s so difficult, I’m glad I knew what to look out for in Darcey. Ben was awful and the chest infections and struggle breathing was horrible. Just need to hold onto the fact it will get better as they grow up.

November 23, 2016 at 10:10 am
  • Reply Fi Ni Neachtain

I’m so glad Darcey is improving now and that you’ve found a prescription formula that helps her. My eldest had reflux, he was constantly sick.

November 22, 2016 at 7:44 pm

When people asked to hold her I’d have to give them a muslin and apologise in advance for the sick that would soon be over them!

November 23, 2016 at 10:13 am
  • Reply Paighton Millington - The Lazy Baker

Bless you, I can’t image how difficult that would be. Well done for powering through. Glad that they’re doing better now though ☺️

November 22, 2016 at 7:03 pm
  • Reply joannavictoria

I’ve heard of reflux and know of a friend’s little one had it but I never experienced it with Blake. It’s something I’ve been hearing alot more of recently too.

November 22, 2016 at 5:45 pm
  • Reply clairejustine

I have never heard of this before. It must have been so hard for you all 🙁

November 22, 2016 at 3:41 pm
  • Reply Ann GrubbsnCritters

Reflux is a terrible thing; harder to watch them in pain and there’s nothing much you can do about it when the reflux happens. My son had the silent one and was diagnosed with it when he was about 2 months old. He was put on medication for about a year. And when he was little, we had to make sure he get his burbs right and that caused a lot of pain too. I wrote about it as well…it was a logn time back but I still remember it well.
    He is OK now. And you are right, it does get better, Hang in there.

November 22, 2016 at 8:35 am

Thanks Ann, some doctors seem to fob parents off if the child isn’t losing weight but that doesn’t mean they aren’t in pain. It just seems awful at the time doesn’t it. Hope we are out the other side now x

November 22, 2016 at 8:49 am
      • Reply Ann GrubbsnCritters

Oh yes, indeed! I have seen that happened when PDs just dismiss it with “ït’ll go away”. Or us parents being judged for medicating kids with reflux and supposedly not being careful with what we eat when breastfeeding. No one knows the extent of how hard having a reflux baby is unless you experience it yourself; those sleepless nights…those cries..My son was chubby – he fed a lot as it soothed him, but it also has a nasty effect after that. In this case, feeding on demand didn’t work. Funny that.
        Hope you are on the other side now! 🙂 x.

November 22, 2016 at 8:22 pm

Yes feeding on demand didn’t work and made her more sick. I changed from breast feeding to dairy free formula and for Darcey that worked to at least comfort her. She wasn’t screaming in the middle of feeding. Not the right course for all children but glad the hospital took us seriously. x

November 23, 2016 at 10:12 am