Baby

Poop Monster and Nappy Rash

With Darcey being baby number 3 I thought that by now I’d know what I was doing, well apparently I seem to have forgotten quite a few bits on what it’s like to have a newborn baby.

I have never known a baby poop as much as she does, I’ve got a tracker app on my phone to record feedings and changes, or I’d be even more clueless. This little girl has about 10 -12 dirty nappies a day. So affectionately she is sometimes referred to as ‘poop monster’. How can someone so small really need to go that much?

I spoke to the midwife and health visitors when she was first born and they were happy with this as clearly her digestive system is working and she getting the milk and sustenance that she needs from me.

Now I have no problem changing nappies, even if she does only have them on for a few minutes occasionally before looking at me and pooping again. What I do have a problem with is nappy rash.  Poor Darcey has had an awful rash since she was a few days old and this has been going on for 7 weeks now. Some days it looks better than other’s but we just can’t get rid of it.

What I’ve tried;

Nappies – we were given different brands of nappies from Pampers, Aldi and Lidl. I’ve heard that there can be chemicals in the nappies that can cause a rash so have tried each of these brands for a short period of time exclusively to see if that helps. No improvement what so ever.

Wipes vs Cotton Wool – I didn’t really want to do the whole cotton wool and water thing again and was recommended water wipes by a friend. They are allergy tested and midwife approved for use on newborns. I sometimes use normal baby wipes to clean up messes and seen as how good they are at removing stains perhaps not best to use on newborn skin. I stopped using the water wipes for a week and used cotton wool exclusively, again no improvement. My GP also said he’s impressed by the water wipes and that I should continue using them.

Creams – I’ve tried Burts Bee’s, Sudocream, Metanium and Canestan (under GP advice). The rash is still there. The GP advised to slather her in Metanium at every nappy change to act as a barrier and I’ve been doing this.

Really don’t know what else I can do to clear this up as it looks so sore.

Anyone else had similar problems and found a solution I haven’t tried?

Any other nappy brands or creams you can recommend?

• Reply Steph Oakes

Oh no, poor little thing. I can’t offer any advice i’m afraid as neither of mine ever had nappy rash, but I use pampers and sudocrem whenever i put a new nappy on if that’s any help x

February 27, 2016 at 2:33 pm

Thanks Steph, I think it’s getting better with all the advice. Nappy free time is helping. I agree with you always putting on a cream at each nappy change x

February 29, 2016 at 2:24 pm
  • Reply lambandbear

Oh the poor thing! And poor you for dealing with this. Nappy rash is awful. Luckily Lamb has never struggled with nappy rash, juts a little red every now and then. I found sudocrem care & protect worked really well. I hope it gets better soon! x

February 26, 2016 at 10:46 am

Thanks, got lots of tips to try. I hope it will resolve quickly x

February 26, 2016 at 10:49 pm
  • Reply Ros Emely@stressfreemommies

Diaper rash are the worst! My daughter had it bad and we found out it was the diaper giving her rash and so we changed the brand and it worked. I would also recommend using the Desitin diaper rash cream because it works wonders!

February 25, 2016 at 10:50 pm
  • Reply Mrs Tubbs

Hope you get things sorted out soon so she’s okay. Maybe see the doctor just to see it’s not anything they can help with.

February 25, 2016 at 5:20 pm

Thanks, I took her to the doctors but canestan was all they could give as they didn’t want to try anything stronger on her skin.

February 26, 2016 at 10:57 pm
  • Reply Ann GrubbsnCritters

Poor baby (and mommy!)…nappy rash can be horrible. I remember those days. Shame sudocreme didn’t work though…I thought they’d be the best. Maybe for a few days you can try cloth diapering? The butt cheeks get more air from cloth diapering and if you can, leave her without nappies off and on? I’ve used calendula before for rashes on the face and it was a miracle. Haven’t tried it on the butt though. Hope you’Lloyd be able to find something that helps; mom’s always manage to figure things out! ?

February 25, 2016 at 3:40 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, I’ve been wondering if cloth nappies would be better to get it all cleared up.

February 26, 2016 at 10:59 pm
  • Reply helen gandy

Have you tried savlon? I used to slather savlon on when my little ones had a bad nappy rash and it really helped. Hope you get sorted soon! Thanks for linking up, lovely to see you back linking up #bestandworst

February 24, 2016 at 10:21 pm

Oh hadn’t thought of that. I’ve got some in the house so will give it a go x

February 26, 2016 at 11:04 pm
  • Reply Steph

We used a yellow Metanium cream on O’s sore bottom – it would clear up nappy rash very quickly. Nappy-free time is a great way to help too. Hope you see an improvement soon xx

February 24, 2016 at 3:21 pm

I’ve been using metanium and it’s made it better but not cured it. Am trying more nappy free time now x

February 26, 2016 at 11:07 pm
  • Reply Pamela | Life With Munchers

Oh bless! I agree with slapping it on to act as a barrier, but if you’re changing so often, it’s not getting a chance to work in. What about some nappy free time? The prospect for a poop monster isn’t so appealing I’m sure? But maybe a few days of letting the air get to the toosh will help x

February 24, 2016 at 1:13 pm

Very true, I’m trying some more nappy free time. She loves being naked! x

February 26, 2016 at 11:08 pm
  • Reply Zoe Forde

Aww I hope Darcey’s okay! I can’t imagine anything more irritating. Poor little thing x

February 24, 2016 at 12:00 pm

Thanks Zoe still trying lots of things x

February 26, 2016 at 11:09 pm
  • Reply joannavictoria

Can totally relate to this.
    Blake has terrible nappy rash have tired everything I can think of.
    Different creams, we use cloth nappies but have also tried different types of disposables too, nappy free time, changing the nappy more frequently. Nothing seems to work.
    It’s much worse when he is teething too!

February 24, 2016 at 10:42 am

Definitely need to get this sorted before teething starts. Nappy free time seems to be the best advice x

February 26, 2016 at 11:11 pm
  • Reply Janine

I’m glad I read this. My little girl has been dealing with a nappy rash for weeks if not even months. Like you we tried sudocreme, lasser paste, canosten mixed with hydrocortisone cream but nothing helped. So I took her to the gp last week. Turns out she now has a bacterial infection and it’s been treated with prescribed cream for 2 weeks. It looks much better already. We got moisturiser along with it too that is supposed to help.
    Generally you should avoid all creams. This is probably why her nappy rash got so bad in the first place. We are using water wipes at the moment. Expensive but better than cotton wool. She has about 6 dirty nappies a day.

February 24, 2016 at 9:42 am

Doctor has seen her this week and not an infections so just continuing with the metanium and nappy free time. Hope you’re little girl is better soon. Water wipes are fantastic x

February 26, 2016 at 11:13 pm