Baby Pregnancy

Top 5 Newborn Essentials

During pregnancy I read lots of articles and lists about all the things I would need to get ready for when my new baby arrived. Gadgets and baby equipment has come on so much since we had the boys 7 years ago. As we didn’t think we’d be lucky enough to have another baby I had got rid of everything so we were starting from scratch again.

So here I am with a room full of baby stuff and now Darcey is 7 weeks old most of it still hasn’t been used. Other than the pram and car seat these are my top 5 items that were really worth buying.

1) Swaddles

Screen Shot 2016-02-18 at 11.56.35 Screen Shot 2016-02-18 at 11.57.20

I ordered these when I first found out we were having a girl as they are just so pretty. They are really versatile as well. I use one every night as Darcey likes to be swaddled beneath her arms, with a light blanket on top I know she’ll be kept at the right temperature all night. I’ve also been using them as a breast feeding cover up when I’m out and about. They’ll be great as light blankets when we get into summer as well. All in all well worth the money.

2) Breast Feeding Pillow

Screen Shot 2016-02-18 at 12.02.32

This has become more and more useful in recent weeks as she has got longer and heavier. During the day I can always grab a pillow off the sofa but at night it helps me get her in the right position for latching on when I’m tired and half asleep. Also I can prop her up on the pillow after a feed whilst I’m doing jobs, this keeps her more upright and hopefully less sick.

3) Sleepyhead

Screen Shot 2016-02-18 at 11.58.58

I originally bought a beautiful moses basket for Darcey that still to this day she refuses to sleep in. Luckily me sister gave me a sleepyhead which she used for my nephew, this has been a lifesaver at night. She can sleep either in her crib, or in bed with us in the Sleepyhead and I don’t have to worry about rolling on top of her. It’s also so light and portable I can take it anywhere with us and she feels like she’s sleeping in her own bed. They are expensive but it’s made the biggest difference to us.

4) Gro-Light

Screen Shot 2016-02-15 at 09.49.27

I’ve just done a review on this product here. I’ve been using the Gro-Light on my bedside light and it has transformed it into a soft nightlight. This is perfect for night feeds and nappy changes. Also if she’s making funny gurgling noises I can quickly flick on the Gro-Light and check on her without waking her or hubby up.

5) Muslins

Screen Shot 2016-02-18 at 12.00.40

You can never have enough muslins. All of my children have had reflux and we go through so many of these it’s ridiculous. I’ve found the ones from Ikea are great as they are bigger and thicker than normal, I use these under her head when she’s lying down so sheets don’t need changing multiple times a day.

• Reply Silly Mummy

Never used a sleepyhead. Love those giant muslin swaddles, less for actual swaddling but they’re great as breastfeeding covers and for shading prams in summer, as they are less likely than anything else to make baby too hot. The gro lights are useful. You never do use half the stuff as much as you think you will, do you? #twinklytuesday

March 1, 2016 at 10:10 pm
  • Reply Franjones

The swaddled are lovely and we have the same cushion which is perfect for cuddles and feeding.

March 1, 2016 at 12:12 pm
  • Reply Jodie

That sleepy head looks absolutely amazing. We love the Aden & Anais Muslins.

February 26, 2016 at 8:25 pm

It really is super comfy, if only they made one in adult sizes!

February 26, 2016 at 10:41 pm
  • Reply Everything Mummy

Great essentials, those swaddles are so pretty! I miss having a new born!!! x

February 26, 2016 at 11:08 am

The swaddles are amazing, one of my most used purchases. Bearing in mind the cost they had to be really! x

February 26, 2016 at 10:48 pm
  • Reply Katy (@hotpinkwellies)

The gro-light is fantastic, isn’t it? One of our best purchases I think! I’d love a Sleepyhead for next time, everyone who has one seems to really rate it. And you just can’t beat a muslin, can you? So many uses!

February 24, 2016 at 2:37 pm

The sleepyhead is great, I didn’t think it would make such a difference until we tried it x

February 26, 2016 at 11:08 pm
  • Reply lambandbear

Really good list. I’ve just got some large muslins that can be swaddles for baby number 2. I definitely agree with the bro light, although we could never use ours as we have dimmer switches in Lambs room. The Sleepy head looks amazing and I would of made use of this when Lamb was a baby! x

February 24, 2016 at 7:24 am

The Sleepyhead is fantastic, well worth the money to get some sleep x

February 26, 2016 at 11:14 pm
  • Reply Harriet from Toby & Roo

I couldn’t agree more than you can never have enough muslins – what is there that you can’t use them for?! They are the answer to EVERYTHING!! H x

February 23, 2016 at 8:14 pm
  • Reply life as mum

Great list! I never had a breastfeeding pillow, swaddles or muslins for my first or second but I have them ready for my third who is due in july xx

February 23, 2016 at 3:02 pm

They really are useful, hope you’re pregnancy is going well x

February 26, 2016 at 11:15 pm
  • Reply Emma @sophieellaandme

I love aden + anais products and those swaddles are lovely! I’ve heard great things about the Sleepyhead and will definitely be purchasing one if/when we have another baby. Muslins were essential for us too, so will definitely be stocking up on those next time! x

February 23, 2016 at 2:53 pm

the Swaddles are so pretty and I get lots of comments on them if using then as a cover up for feeding when out x

February 26, 2016 at 11:16 pm
  • Reply Steph

I’m having to re-learn a lot about newborn life, as my firstborn is now 4 and a half years old and has well and truly left that period! The swaddle blankets you’ve featured are truly beautiful – and I agree that muslins are a must for new parents! I’ve bought a few but think I may need more… x

February 23, 2016 at 12:19 pm
  • Reply Jenna

The Aden & Anais swaddle blankets are beautiful. We had some when my daughter was a newborn and we found them useful for so many things. We didn’t have a sleepyhead but I’d like to get one when we have the next baby.

February 23, 2016 at 10:44 am

The sleepyhead is fantastic. I just so pleased that she actually sleeps! x

February 26, 2016 at 11:16 pm
  • Reply Alice

Muslins were definitely up there for me and even though I wasn’t breastfeeding Amelia I found the cushion super helpful for feeding her and resting Amelia on it instead of on my csection scar! Xz

February 23, 2016 at 9:44 am
  • Reply Carys

My best gadget for baby is our Angelcare monitor which has a sensor pad and camera. It gives me total peace of mind that baby is breathing as an alarm sounds if no movement detected & the camera is brilliant for letting me check if he’s awake or what he is up to in his cot now he’s in his own bedroom. The camera is also infrared so works day and night.

February 22, 2016 at 6:53 pm

I’ve got one of these monitors for when she’s a bit bigger. They sound great, wish they’d had them when the boys were little x

February 22, 2016 at 9:26 pm
  • Reply Helen

We found most of these essentials too – we didn’t have a Sleepyhead but have heard SO many good things about them! If we have any more children I’d certainly be getting one 🙂

Helen x

February 18, 2016 at 3:40 pm
  • Reply Ann GrubbsnCritters

Gotta love those muslins. You are right that there’s never enough of them, Lisa! ?

February 18, 2016 at 2:54 pm