Baby

Dummies Good or Bad?

IMG_7840.jpg

Having a bit of a dilemma at the moment for little baby Darcey. She’s been feeling under the weather with a bad cold and all she wants to do is feed. Although she’s not really feeding more like using me for comfort as the sucking action makes her feel better. When she’s not on me she’s trying to suck her hands all the time.

We’ve got a couple of dummies in the house so I’ve popped them in the steriliser to see if she’ll take them and give her and me a little bit f relief even if it is only momentarily. She’s started to be really sick the last few days, I’m not sure if this is due to the cold or the start of reflux. I’m hoping it’s the cold as her brothers had really bad reflux and I don’t want her to have to go through that. Either way the constant sucking and swallowing is taking away the horrible taste in her mouth is seems.

She’ll take the dummy for about 10 minutes and it calms her down, but them she’s not interested and get’s upset again. She does want the comfort and not the milk, I know she’s getting a good amount of milk and putting weight on.

So is it good to start giving her a dummy or bad?

These are all the thought’s going round in my head;

• Am I making a rod for my own back?
  • Should I continue to try and get her to use the dummy?
  • Should I perceiver and try to get her to self soothe without a dummy?
  • Does giving her a dummy mean I’ll have to constantly get up and put it back in making my life harder?

The boys had dummies but I can’t remember if I gave them this young and I wasn’t trying to exclusively breastfeed with them. Also they’re 7 & 8 now and it seems the advice and guidelines have completely changed since they were newborns..

What did you all do, would love to get some advice?

• Reply Robyn

Our baby was given a dummy by the neo-natal nurses. I wasn’t all that happy about it (in fact they didn’t even ask), but they said it was important for prem babies, to develop the sucking reflex that normally develops during the last month in utero. Anyway, so now he’s 15 months and still sleeps with it, which is fine except when we’re having a terrible night and he repeatedly throws it over the side of the cot and howls for it. Having a dummy has been a massive help in settling him to sleep all this time, but I do foresee a problem when we try to remove it :/ There’s definitely no right or wrong with this one, only what works and what doesn’t – good luck!

February 7, 2016 at 9:02 am
  • Reply acornishmum

You have to do what’s right for you and its no ones place to tell you you’re wrong if you do use a dummy. Both of my boys used them, and they were a sanity saver at times and not that hard to wean them off. I hope you’re having an easier time of it now, both of you. Thanks for linking up to #PicknMix

Stevie x

February 4, 2016 at 10:02 pm

Thanks Stevie, we’re offering it to her when she’s unsettled, sometimes she takes it other times not. So just playing it by ear. x

February 5, 2016 at 12:15 pm
  • Reply lambandbear

Lamb is 3 next month and he has bee dummy free for a week. He had a dummy straight away. He suffered with colic and was really unsettled. Plus my midwife told me they are a preventive of cot death – whether you choose to believe this or not, once you hear it it’s hard to get out of your head! I will be giving one to baby number 2 if he needs it. I have nothing against them as long as they are used in moderation. You do what’s best for your baby xx

February 1, 2016 at 10:24 pm

Thanks hun am trying it when nothing else will settle her although she’s not that into it. I’ve heard about the reducing cot death and also meant to help with reflux to keep them swallowing x

February 2, 2016 at 4:44 pm
  • Reply steph_baybee

Sorry I am going to cop out and say you have to do what is right for you both. My son had them from 2 months to 6 months, but my twins had them until they were 2.5years. All of them gave them up easily, I was quite firm with them and made them for only bedtimes as they got a little older too. Do what you feel is right.

February 1, 2016 at 9:04 pm

Thanks Steph, will see how she gets on with it.

February 2, 2016 at 4:42 pm
  • Reply Laura's Lovely Blog

There are pros and cons of both and yes you may have to get a plan together to get rid of the dummy eventually. But don’t over stress, if it’s right for you baby do it x #picknmix

February 1, 2016 at 4:33 pm

Thanks Laura, I’m going to stop stressing and see if she wants it.

February 2, 2016 at 4:40 pm
  • Reply Life as Mum

My first daughter had a dummy. It was her comfort. She let go of the dummy herself at around 3-4 years old before starting school. My second daughter had a dummy for the first day, then didn’t like it after that. She wouldn’t take it, and never has done since. I did find it a little harder but not much. My 3rd baby wont have a dummy either.

January 31, 2016 at 4:17 pm

She doesn’t seem to be that interested in it so I’m not pushing it on her, just offering it if nothing else is working.

February 2, 2016 at 4:39 pm
  • Reply Leanne Cornelius

We tried a dummy with Aria but she wouldn’t take it, at the time when they are crying if you have got something that will settle them then it is always the best idea in my opinion! If it makes them happy even for just five minutes then it is worth it.
    Aria found her thumb instead which is great because we don’t have to sterilise it or get up in the night to give it her when it falls out!
    On the other side we can’t really wean her off her thumb!

#Love2Blog

January 31, 2016 at 12:06 pm

Thanks Leanne, there’s always good and bad points at least you can take a dummy away. Will see how she gets on and if she needs it x

February 2, 2016 at 4:38 pm
  • Reply lifewithpinkprincesses

I don’t think there’s a right or wrong answer. You do what’s best for your child. Both P1 and P2 had dummies. P3 had one for a few weeks and part of me wishes she still had one at times

January 31, 2016 at 11:55 am

Thanks will see how we get on and whether she seems to need it x

February 2, 2016 at 4:38 pm
  • Reply Alice

I honestly think there are goods and bads to this one. I never needed one with Amelia as fortunately she was a pretty content baby. But I know for some they are a real life saver. Personally I would never give one unless it was for a reason like she needs the comfort as then I think you might live to regret it but to help her settle a bit and give you five minutes then it might be the right decision. It’s a tough one!

January 31, 2016 at 10:59 am

Thanks Alice will see how she get’s on but I agree I’m only going to use it if I really can’t comfort her any other way. x

February 2, 2016 at 4:37 pm
  • Reply Silly Mummy

I think there are pros & cons both ways. My eldest had them, just for sleep. Youngest would never take them & was always a frequent comfort breastfeeder right through night. She has finally been persuaded to drop night feeds & actually recently she has started having a dummy, as she is worse at night than her sister (both were bad under 1 but eldest became a very good independent sleeper after that), because she hasn’t got any way of soothing herself she is happy with. She likes having dummy and it has improved her, though she doesn’t put it back in herself when she wakes up & wants it, like her sister would. Probably because she is less accustomed to them. It seemed odd to give her a dummy when done without so long, but then I think that they only use for sleep, so not talking around them, & probably doesn’t matter that much. Plus it can stop them taking up thumb sucking for comfort, which is a harder habit to break! #picknmix

January 30, 2016 at 1:14 am
  • Reply reimerandruby

I’ve tried giving dummy too to my two kids when they were still babies thinking that would help soothe them, but it didn’t. So they never had dummy at all. Good thing about it, I never get the hassle of detaching them from using dummies because they were never used to having one in the first place. Although some babies find it soothing, I think it all depends how they react to it. Mum is the only person who knows best for their own child. #PicknMix

January 29, 2016 at 7:15 pm