Pregnancy

Half baked, 20 weeks pregnant.

Week 20

How the little bean has developed;

• I’m now the size of a mango
  • I’m 25.6 cm long that’s because I’m now measured from top to toe
  • I weigh 10.58oz, which is 2oz more than last week, I’m really starting to put on weight
  • I’ve been practising swallowing the amniotic fluid and am already making my first poo for you
  • I’m moving more now and daddy will soon be able to feel me

Mummy update

It’s been a really difficult week this week I’ve been completely shattered despite the fact that I have actually been sleeping for a change. I was back at work this week after some annual leave and am finding day to day life a lot more difficult. The first 2 days back at work we’re pretty much a write off, I finished work and then went to bed!

The little bean is now moving a lot more and it’s comforting to feel her, reasurring me that everything is OK. We’ve had some fun trying to decide on name but so far we’re discounting loads and only have about 3 we actually like. Good thing we’ve got another 20 weeks to think of one.

We had our 20 week scan today and they confirmed the bean is definitely a little girl. They also checked her over completely and it’s a big relief to know that everything is growing and working as it should be. They told me my placenta is anterior but it’s not low enough to stop her exit so that’s great news. Now that I know that everything is OK I can start planning the nursery and buying things.

IMG_6741

IMG_6742

Day to Day life

At least the weather here has been slightly better and we’ve managed to get to the beach. The boys have been paddle boarding and boogy boarding with daddy whilst I’ve got to sit in the sun and watch.

We’ve made progress in the nursery as this was previously my office. We’ve had to move a stud partition wall to increase the size of the room and steal some wasted space from the family bathroom. This work has been ongoing for about 6 weeks as we really haven’t been getting the people in we need. This week the nursery was plastered and now we’re ready for the bathroom to be retiled.

Back update

My back has been playing up this week since I’ve been back at work. Sitting at a desk is not helping at all and I’m really struggling. I do spend all of my day on the computer or on the phone at my desk, by the end of the day my back is really painful and it feels like there’s a lot of pressure in my lower back and abdomen.

The PGP/SPD is also getting worse and I feel like I’m stuck in between a rock and a hard place at the moment. It’s a struggle to move around and when I left work on Tuesday I was almost in tears walking back to my car. I shouldn’t be sat down for long periods of time but I also can’t walk around to help my back due to the pain in my pelvic area.

I saw the consultant and a specialist physio at the hospital today to talk about the pregnancy and pain. The consultant has told me to take things as easy as possible, if I’m struggling with work then I need to make some changes. It’s good that when I’m resting, lying on the sofa that I’m not in pain, if I can limit my activities I can cope on just paracetamol for a longer period of time.

The physio went through all the advice they give out to women suffering from PGP. All of this I’m doing already as it was the same advice that I was given after having the back surgery. The problem with the pelvic pain is that the only cure for it is delivery of the baby so all they can really do is offer advice not to increase the pain and keep me as comfortable as possible. I will start talking to my private physio about whether I could maybe have some acupuncture to help with this.

Follow me of Facebook or Twitter to receive my regular updates. Links are at the top of the page.

• Reply Mummyandmonkeys

Ouch I had really bad SPD with my last pregnancy I was on crutches for the last few months and really should have had a wheel chair but was too embarrassed so I just didn’t do anything for the last bit. I didn’t have back pain thrown in the mix so it must be horrible. Glad that baby is growing well. Thanks for linking to #PickNMix

September 10, 2015 at 9:10 pm

Thanks it is difficult but will be worth it in the end. I just have to remind myself that I can’t do too much.

September 11, 2015 at 8:19 pm
  • Reply A Cornish Mum

I so feel for you with the back and hip issues, I have issues with them both as well though not as seriously as yourself mine is on and off, and I’m not pregnant.
    I do know just how painful it can be though and how draining it is even without pregnancy, I really hope your pain eases and your pregnancy goes a little bit easier but congrats on the baby girl!
    Thanks for linking up to #Picknmix
    Stevie x

September 9, 2015 at 9:52 am

Thanks Stevie I’m sure going through pregnancy gives us the patience and ability to look after the new baby x

September 11, 2015 at 8:21 pm
  • Reply Angela at Daysinbed

Yeah! That’s so great that you are halfway. I love that you describe your little bean as the size of a mango. Nice photo’s too! It brought back memories of my pregnancy almost 8 years ago now! Wow! Thanks for sharing and linking up to #PositivelyPosted

Angela xx

September 7, 2015 at 4:55 pm

Thanks Angela, I look forward to doing the weekly updates it’s something I can look back on. It is also making this pregnancy go so quickly. x

September 7, 2015 at 9:47 pm
  • Reply John Milnes

Congratulations of reaching this marker. I did laugh when I read the title, thats what got my attention.

Since my wife and I have been married, we have not been so lucky. I have all this to come as we keep trying to build our family. I am a step Father to my wife’s first child.

I wish you all the luck in the world. #PositivelyPosted

September 5, 2015 at 10:45 pm

Thanks John, I try and put some humour into this, well I find it funny anyway! I hope that you and your wife are on your own little journey soon enough 🙂

September 7, 2015 at 9:48 pm
  • Reply Julie

Congrats on being halfway there 🙂 Ouch though, pregnancy is tough enough without the back issues added on. That sonogram pic of the foot is simply precious 🙂

September 4, 2015 at 9:55 pm

Thanks Julie, I thought that picture was really cute too. still amazed at all they can see on the ultrasounds x

September 7, 2015 at 9:49 pm
  • Reply Jo Bryan

Lovely bump ic, so exciting to read the facts of how big your baby is, sucks that you are struggling with back pain. Hope it eases #bestandworst

September 4, 2015 at 9:41 pm

Thanks Jo, it’s amazing how they develop each week. Every Wednesday I sit down with the boys and we see how are baby has changed.

September 7, 2015 at 9:50 pm
  • Reply helen gandy

Ahh look at your little bump, you look great I hope the physio is helping your back. Congrats on your little pink bundle, we had a little girly in April. Love the little picture of baby feet, adorable! Thanks for linking up to the #bestandworst hope you’ll pop by again! 🙂 x

September 4, 2015 at 8:28 pm